Disagree with a benefit decision

If you do not understand the Housing Benefit (HB) or Council Tax Reduction (CTR) decision you can ask for a detailed statement as to how we have made the decision(s).

If you are unhappy or disagree with an HB or CTR decision you need to take one of the following actions.

Ask us to reconsider the decision(s)

You must write to us within one calendar month of the date of the decision. We write to inform you of the outcome of the reconsideration.

Make a formal appeal against a Housing Benefits decision(s)

You must write to us within one calendar month of the date of the decision and state what decision you are appealing against, what you disagree with and an explanation of why you disagree. Your appeal request must be signed. We will reconsider the decision(s) and if it cannot be changed in your favour we pass it directly to the independent Tribunals Service.

The Tribunals service – is independent from us. If you have been advised that your appeal has been passed to the Tribunals service, they arrange the time, date and venue for the hearing and let you know in writing. The appeals tribunal is made up of people who are not from Hull City Council.

Make a formal appeal against a Council Tax Reduction decision(s)

For CTR decisions you must ask us to reconsider your decision before you make a formal appeal.

You must write to the Independent Valuation Tribunal within 2 months of the date of our reconsideration decision.

Please visit valuation tribunal for more information and complete an online form

Asking for a statement or for us to reconsider a decision about your housing benefit and/or council tax reduction does not take away your right to submit an appeal

Landlords right of appeal

There are occasions when a landlord can ask us to reconsider a decision, however, there are only certain decisions we are able to reconsider -

  • the decision about who we pay Housing Benefit to 
  • whether an overpayment is recoverable from you 
  • the amount, period and reason for the overpayment

A written request for an appeal must be received within one calendar month of the notification date.

Revenues and Benefits
Hull City Council
PO Box 15


If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools

production.hull.gov.uk 20200226124556