Hull became a Universal Credit Full service area from 12 December 2018 replaced new claims for Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Working and Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.
After that date, if you need to make a new claim for benefits, you will have to claim Universal Credit unless one of the following exceptions applies to you -
- you are single and of State Pension age, or a couple where both of you have reached State Pension age
- you are a Mixed age couple and currently receive Pension credits as a couple
- you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council
- you live in accommodation receive care, support and supervision and it is a condition of you living in your home
- your Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Housing Benefit has the Severe Disability Premium within the last month
If one of the above applies you can still claim one of the benefits listed above.
People will gradually move onto Universal Credit when a change in circumstances means you would have previously made a new claim for one of the benefits Universal Credit is replacing, this is called 'natural migration'.
If you are on a low income, applying for or already receiving Universal Credit you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Reduction.
Universal Credit aims to make you better off when you are working. There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week, your Universal Credit gradually reduces as you earn more. This means in future it is easier to start a new job or work more hours.
If you are of state pension age you are not affected unless you have a partner who is of working age.
If you have recently moved to Hull and receive Universal Credit, you must inform your work coach about this change through your online journal.
Universal Credit is applied for online. Free public internet access is available throughout the city, please see maps below for details of free internet access sites.
Skills to Succeed Academy is an innovative online training programme. When enrolling on the Skills to Succeed course please use the code DW1YH1`
If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.