Benefit supporting proofs

If you are applying for housing benefit and or council tax reduction we may need proofs to verify your application, or any changes, before a decision can be made.

How to provide proofs

You can - 

  • you can scan or photography original documents and e-mail them to
  • visit one of our Customer Service Centres

Find you nearest Customer Service Centre

  • send your proofs to us (do not send any valuable documents through the post)

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Proofs required

Identity for you and your partner –

  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • current passport
  • medical card
  • driving license in phot card format
  • UK residence permit
  • EEC identity card
  • letter from a government department

National Insurance number for you and your partner

  • National Insurance number card
  • P60 or payslips
  • Letter from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP)

Other evidence you may be required to submit -

  • capital, savings and investments for you and your partner
  • earnings for you, your partner and any non dependants living with you
  • self employed income for you, your partner and any other adults living with you
  • benefits, allowances or pensions for you, your partner and any other adults living with you
  • your tenancy agreement and proof of rent paid
  • child care costs
  • any other eligible expenses

You may also receive a letter requesting further proofs from a benefits officer where needed.

If you do not have any payslips, or they are handwritten, ask your employer to fill in a proof of earnings form.

If you have childcare costs but don't have receipts, ask your childcare provider to complete a childcare costs form.

If you don't have a a tenancy agreement or have no proof of your rent, ask your landlord to complete a landlord rent declaration form.