Rateable value of your business

Important : From 1 April 2020 the Chancellor has announced a new £10,000 grant only available to businesses that qualify for Small Business Rates Relief and a grant of UP TO £25,000 for businesses in receipt of Retail Discount with a Rateable Value between £15,000 and £51,000. The Council is waiting for the government to provide further guidance, please continue to check here and Gov.UK for further details. The Council is expecting to receive further guidance from the Government on these grants on Friday 20th March 2020.

Premises that are subject to business rates are given a rateable value by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). We use the VOA's assessment of your property's rateable value to calculate your business rates bill. The rateable value of your property can be found on the VOA website or at your local valuation office.

Visit the VOA website to check your rateable value

The address of your local valuation office is -

Hull Valuation Office
Earle House
Colonial Street

Telephone - 03000 501 501

Business rate liability

If a property is being used by a person, partnership or company, then they are responsible for paying the business rates. These are known as liable persons.

If more than one business or liable person occupies your property, and you believe you are not solely liable contact us on 01482 300 301 or email ndrsr@hullcc.gov.uk and we advise you what to do next.

Please be aware that if two or more people are trading as a partnership, the Valuation Office is not required to make any changes to the rating list.

If the Valuation Office decides the property can be split, they  then give a rateable value for each individual part of the property. If the Valuation Office decides the property cannot be split between the occupiers, then the owner is responsible for the rates.

Revaluation of your rateable value

Rateable values are reviewed every five years, this is called a revaluation. You can check your latest revaluation on the VOA website.

Check the details of your 2010 revaluation on the VOA website

Check the details of your 2017 revaluation on the VOA website 

If your property has changed since the last revaluation (for example, if your property has been altered), you must contact the Hull Valuation Office to have your property reassessed. If you do not advise the VOA and they become aware of an alteration, you can be held liable for a backdated increase in business rates even if you have ceased to have an involvement with the property, or you might miss out on any prospective decrease in the business rate should the valuation go down.

Appeals against your rateable value

You can appeal against the value shown in the latest list if you believe it is wrong.  Appeals are dealt with at the Hull Valuation Office. You should not stop paying your business rates if you make an appeal against your rateable value.

If your appeal is successful, your rateable value will be changed from either the date of the change in value, or the beginning of the financial year in which the appeal was made (whichever date is the earliest).

Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Visit the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) website

Visit the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) website