Supported lodgings

Do you have a spare room? Could you provide a bridge to independent living for a young person age 16-21?

The Supported Lodgings Service is about providing young people aged 16 – 21 the skills and experience they need to be able to eventually live independently by themselves.

As a Supported Lodgings provider you support the young person by helping them in different ways like -

  • learning basic cooking skills
  • how to budget for household costs and food
  • promote personal hygiene and household cleanliness
  • encourage them to continue with education and training courses
  • building their self esteem, confidence and social skills

Most of the qualities and skills we have described are usually acquired naturally through growing up as part of a family in a normal family home, but many of our young people simply have not had that support or guidance.

Matching you and your lodger

We take a great deal of care in matching your lodger with you, and we involve you in the selection process. You yourself have the final say in who shares your home. We have taken time to get to know you and the kind of lodgings you can provide, and take into account your needs and the requirements of the young person. The greatest need in our area is for  accommodation to suit young people from 16 – 18, usually coming out of foster care, but placements can be for people up to the age of 24 if the young person is in Higher Education.

There are many different reasons for young people needing supported lodgings. Some may have been living with their own families, but find it impossible to continue because of challenging circumstances. Others may be former foster children, or have been living in a children’s home or other looked after institution.

Who can be a Supported Lodgings provider

We are looking to recruit suitable supported lodgings providers from the Hull and East Riding area who can provide a safe and supportive environment for young people leaving care or other young people who are unable to live at home.

You will need -

  • to be over 21
  • to have a spare room in your property
  • life experience of being independent
  • to have the time and commitment to support a young person

Regardless of -

  • if you own or rent your home
  • whether you work, are in education or unemployed
  • your sexual orientation, gender or religion

You receive excellent support and a weekly financial allowance

You have your own allocated Supported Accommodation Worker and among the benefits you receive are -

  • financial allowance paid weekly at the equivalent foster care rates
  • continuous training appropriate to you if required
  • professional support from people who have wide experience in dealing with vulnerable young people


These questions can help you determine if you have the potential to be a Supported Lodgings provider 

  • Do I have a spare room in my home?
  • Do I like having young people around?
  • Can I relate to young people and their lives?
  • Do I listen and try to see other people’s points of view?
  • Am I happy to pass on my skills and experience in a friendly way?
  • Can I communicate effectively with different people?
  • Am I willing to take advice from others?
  • Can I be fair and firm when I need to be?
  • Am I prepared to ask for help when I need it?

If you’ve answered yes to several of these questions you have some of the requirements you’ll need as a Supported Lodgings Provider. As long as you have the spare room, with training and support you can always develop all these qualities and more.

Contact us

If you are interested and would like an informal chat or more information about Supported Lodgings then please contact us.

Telephone - 01482 612 800 
Email -
Visit our Hull Fostering Facebook page