If you decide to become a foster carer, we fully support you right from the very beginning and throughout your fostering career.
We have an extensive range of benefits, support and training opportunities for our foster carers.
If you become a foster carer you are entitled to -
- a weekly allowance paid to cover the cost of looking after a child in your home. The amount paid depends on the age of the child placed and is to cover the cost of the looking after the child
- additional allowances for extra costs such as setting up your home for foster children
- payments for holidays, birthdays and festivals (eg Christmas)
- additional weekly fee payments, which reflect your skill and development as a foster carer. These are also paid weekly when a child is in placement
- allowances for mileage and babysitting where agreed
- an additional loyalty payment of £400 for every three years continuing service fostering with Hull Fostering.
|0 to four||£154.10||£22.01||£308.20||£154.10||£154.10|
|Five to 10||£175.52||£25.07||£351.04||£175.52||£175.52|
|11 to 15||£218.51||£31.22||£437.02||£218.51||£218.51|
|16 and above||£265.82||£37.97||£531.64||£265.82||£265.82|
Payment for skills
|Level||Payment||Number of hours|
|One||£34.94||0 to four hours|
|Two||£68.75||Five to eight hours|
|Three||£126.56||Nine to 12 hours|
|16 and above||£221.44|
Support for foster carers and your family
There is lots of support for you and your family including -
- you have a dedicated fostering social worker, who offers you guidance and support through your fostering placements
- out of hours support for emergencies, available 365 days a year and 24 hours a day
- within your first year you will be offered a mentor, who is an experienced foster carer who has been in the same situation as you, to help guide and support you
- fostering support groups – a place you can meet other foster carers within your local area, who become another friendly and experienced support network
- support group for the children of foster carers – where the children who can share their experiences and enjoy activities together
- access to independent fostering advice and support through membership of a charity that supports foster carers with training, publications and practical support
Social events for all the family
We provide parties and trips out for the whole family as well as clubs for all children in fostering families. These are organised throughout the year.
You can purchase a leisure pass which allows your whole household free or heavily discounted access to leisure services across Hull and the East Riding.
Getting a break (respite care)
If you or your foster child or children need a break, there can be respite care available in certain circumstances.
Extra help from other services
You can access practical or specialised support through us. This could be extra help from education or medical specialists or time with sessional workers who work with a child on a one to one basis.
Our dedicated fostering training officers offer innovative and bespoke training to our carers. All of our carers also have the opportunity to study for a funded NVQ Level 3 in Childcare.
Once you are approved as a foster carer with us the following courses are available to be worked through -
Level one courses
• Attachment Trauma and Brain Development
• Child Development (The Theory) Level 1
• Effective Recording for Foster Carers
• Supporting Transitions
• Moving Children on and Introductions to Adoption
• Transitions, Supporting Young People through to adulthood.
• Foster Carer First Aid
• TCI(F) Introduction
• TSDS Induction Standards Workshop
• Safeguarding Level 1 (Completed during pre-approval)
• Medication for Foster Carers (completed during pre-approval)
Level two courses
• Aiming High for Children Looked After
• Children and Young People’s Development (Level 2)
• Working with Parents, Promoting Positive Contact
• Fostering Excellence: Portfolio Building (Level 2)
Level three courses
• Exploring the Impact of Child Sexual Abuse
• Foster Carers as Mentors
• Restorative Practice and Principles for Foster Carers
• Fostering Excellence: Portfolio Building (Level 3)