Looking after someone else's child

If you have a child living with you who is under the age of 16 and not related to you, you need to inform us.

When someone is looking after a child who is not the parent or close relative, this is called private fostering.

If the child is living with you for more than 28 days this is called a private fostering arrangement and by law you need to tell us. 

You might be -

  • a friend of the child's family
  • someone willing to care for the child of a family they don't know 
  • relatives not mentioned in the list below (this means a blood relation for example a cousin or great aunt)

Relatives who are not classed as private foster carers -

  • parent
  • brother or sister
  • aunt or uncle
  • grandparent
  • stepparent
  • guardian or person with parental responsibility

To find out more including how to notify us about a private fostering arrangement 

production.hull.gov.uk 20200127110413