A Personal Transport Budget is to help parents/guardians of children with special educational needs and disabilities who have an Education, and Health Care Plan (EHCP) arrange home to school transport in a way that suits their personal circumstances, it allows families to make flexible arrangements, monitor the quality of their child’s transport directly or they could work with other families to achieve the best possible travel arrangements for their children.
The benefits of a Personal Transport Budget are -
- If provides freedom and flexibility for a family to choose the most appropriate travel arrangements for the child that best fit with personal circumstances.
- • It provides choice and control over how funding is used to get a child to and from school on time in a way that suits you, your child and your family.
- • It ensures resources are distributed in a fair way according to need.
- • It allows opportunities to share with other parents and potentially increase your buying power.
- • It offers families an alternative to the traditional services that a city council can provide.
A monthly allowance is paid during the academic year school months (September to July); the allowance is based on the distance the child resides from their school. A Personal Transport Budget can be spent as the parent/guardian likes as long as their child gets to and from school on time and in a way that ensures their safety:
- • Purchase a travel pass for parent/guardian or a trusted adult to accompany a child on public transport
- • You or someone in your family can drive your child to and from school
- • Paying for an escort for a child to walk to school or to travel by public transport, or arranged by a parent/carer.
- • Arranging shared transport arrangements with other parents, such as shared driving responsibilities, walking buses, cycling or joint taxi bookings
- • Pay for childcare for another child in order for you to take your eligible child to school