School transfers

COVID-19 Service Update - 

Due to the current lockdown restriction, applications for school places may be delayed.  If you have an urgent query please email and will respond to you as soon as possible.

School transfers

If you are moving into Hull or across the city it is sometimes unavoidable to request to change schools. We try to place your child in a school as soon as possible.

We do not encourage parents to move their child from one school to another during the year as this can have a negative effect on a child's progress.

A change of school can sometimes enable children who may have an unwanted reputation or a clash of personalities in their local school to have a fresh start. However this is not always successful, especially if old ways of behaving or dealing with problems do not change. If the previous school has not been given time to resolve the situation, difficulties can also transfer.

Sometimes a change is considered because there has been a disagreement between the parents or child and the school. There are very few differences that cannot be resolved if an issue is discussed openly and reasonably between a school and parent. You should only consider moving your child as a last resort.

How to apply

You should first contact your child's current school and discuss your intention to apply for an in year transfer. Once a school place is allocated we expect you to take up that place within 10 school days. If you request a start date sometime in the future we put your application on hold until nearer the time the school place is required.

Access our online form below to apply for an in year transfer. Please note that we send your details to the Admissions Team as soon as you start completing this form. This is so that, if you do not fully complete and submit the form, we can contact you in the next few weeks to check whether the transfer is still required or if you had any issues with completing the form.

Applications for schools not in Hull

If you live in Hull you must make your application to the School Admissions Team in Hull because we coordinate all in year transfer applications for Hull residents. This applies even if the school that you prefer is in another local authority.

Applications for residents living outside of Hull

If you have not yet moved into Hull or if you live in a neighbouring authority but your preferred school is in Hull, you must first of all contact your own local authority. Many authorities coordinate school transfers for their residents. If your own local authority does not coordinate school in year transfer applications you should contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300 for advice.

Children with an Education, Health and Care plan

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (or statement of special educational need), there is a separate admissions process

Local Offer

What happens next

After we have received your application we determine whether a school place can be allocated at any of your preferred schools. This will take an average of 15 school days. We will then write to you to confirm whether a place has been allocated. This may take a little longer during busy periods.


We offer you the right to appeal if we cannot place you at one of your preferred schools. An appeal form and guidance is sent to you with our letter confirming the outcome of your application.

You must return your appeal form to the Admissions Team within 20 school days. Some schools are responsible for arranging their own independent appeals. We send completed appeal forms directly to those schools on your behalf.

An independent appeal panel of three volunteers hear the appeal. They consider the -

  • school's reason for not offering a place
  • your reasons for needing a place at the school

Your appeal must be heard within 30 school days. You receive information at least ten days before the appeal date about the -

  • appeal
  • date and time 
  • location

You are informed of the outcome of the appeal in writing shortly after the appeal is heard.

Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic emergency legislation has been put in place until 30 September 2021.  The main change is that appeals can be heard over the telephone, or video conferencing or can be decided on the basis of written submissions.  The statutory timescales have also been amended and appeals should be heard as soon as practicable.

Additional information

There is a primary school and secondary school guide for parents that is available below. The guides provide information about the -

  • types of schools
  • admissions arrangements
  • other useful information

There in year coordinated scheme below provides key details about transferring schools during the year and the process for residents living inside and outside the city.

Most schools currently use a catchment area as part of the admission arrangements.  You can see if your home is in the catchment area of your preferred school by looking at the catchment maps below.

For any further information about catchment areas or maps contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300

Fair Access

Children that have not been able to secure a school place and are not currently on the roll of a school may have a school allocated to them by the fair access panel.

School information

Information about each school can be found in the Guide for Parents, on the school website or on the Ofsted Website.  Ofsted are changing the way in which they inspect and report on schools from September 2019.  

Find out more information about how Ofsted is changing how it inspects schools