Making a change to a birth certificate

Re-register a child’s birth

A child birth can be re-registered to include up to date information.

If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and the father did not attend with the mother to register the baby it is possible to re-register the birth at any time in the future to include the father's details

Both parents must complete the relevant form and return this to the Hull Register Office in the Wilson Centre before making an appointment.

For an application to re-register a child's birth and as the natural father's details

If the parents have married each other since the birth was registered the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child

The relevant form must be completed and returned to the Hull Register Office in the Wilson Centre before making an appointment

For an application form to re-register a child's birth following marriage of natural parents

Once your completed form has been processed we will contact you to arrange for you to re-register your child’s birth at our office.  If married to each other the either mother or father can attend the appointment to complete the re-registration.  If not married then mother and father must both be present at this appointment.

There is a charge of £11 for new birth certificates requested when re-registering.

Corrections to a birth registration

If you made a mistake in the original birth registration it will be necessary for the person who registered the birth to prove that an error exists. You can apply for a birth registration to be corrected, however you will need to provide evidence to show that the information recorded is wrong.

A fee of up to £90 is applied to corrections or changes that are requested after registration.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more information on how to correct a birth registration

There is a charge of £4 for new birth certificates requested after a correction.

Changing a name by deed poll

Deed poll is a legal way of changing a name; however this does not change the name on a birth certificate.  This is because a birth certificate is seen as a historic record of the facts at the time of the birth.  If you change your name by deed poll you will need to show your deed poll document as well as your birth certificate to prove your identity.





  • disabled toilet icon
  • accessible lift icon



The Wilson Centre
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone - 01482 300 300

Opening hours
Monday 10am - 3pm
Tuesday 10am - 3pm
Wednesday 10am - 3pm
Thursday 10am - 3pm
Friday 10am - 3pm
Saturday closed
Sunday closed