Converting a civil partnership into a marriage

If you are in a civil partnership you can convert this into a marriage. 

The conversion is an administrative process and can be completed at any register office in England and Wales, it doesn't have to be the place where the civil partnership was formed.

Both parties will need to attend an appointment with a registrar where you will complete and sign the civil partnership conversion declaration.  You can choose to do this with or without a ceremony.

When you attend an appointment we will need to see original documents to show your details-

  • names and ages - passport or birth certificate, along with any name change documents
  • address – one of the following each- council tax bill, bank statement,  photo ID, UK driving license
  • your existing civil partnership certificate

If you want to celebrate the conversion with a ceremony in which you a formerly acknowledge your relationship as a marriage and that you are now legally recognized as husband and husband or wife and wife you can choose to do this after the conversion either the same day or at a later date.  

Alternatively you can choose to complete the conversion using a two stage process.  If you select this option all documentation is checked during the first stage at an appointment with a registrar but the signing of the legal document can take place in stage two and at a separate ceremony which could be on same day or at a later date.  If want to sign the declaration as part of a ceremony your certificate confirming the conversion has been recorded will not be available until after the ceremony, there will also be additional fee for the ceremony when selecting this option. 



To enquire about a civil partnership conversion using either of the above options please contact us by telephoning 01482 300 300 or by emailing

A fee is payable to convert a civil partnership into a marriage.

If you want to convert your civil partnership to a marriage, without having a ceremony you will pay-

  • £45 appointment fee
  • £4 for a marriage certificate
  • a separate fee will apply if you choose to follow this with a celebration ceremony

If you want to convert your civil partnership to a marriage as part of a two stage process to you will pay-

  • £27 for an appointment, if you have a ceremony
  • £4 for a marriage certificate
  • and the appropriate celebration ceremony fee, dependent on the day and time of the ceremony and the venue chosen

More information on celebration ceremony fees




  • disabled toilet icon
  • accessible lift icon



The Wilson Centre
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone - 01482 300 300

Opening hours
Monday 10am - 3pm
Tuesday 10am - 3pm
Wednesday 10am - 3pm
Thursday 10am - 3pm
Friday 10am - 3pm
Saturday closed
Sunday closed