Notice of marriage

COVID-19 Service Update - 

Current government guidance in relation to marriage and civil partnership is that you should only consider booking a wedding or civil partnership ceremony, or continuing with one that is already booked, in exceptional circumstances. This may be for example, if you or your partner is seriously ill and not expected to recover, or is to undergo debilitating treatment or life-changing surgery.

The same guidance applies to legal preliminaries and giving notice of your intention to get married, as such we will only provide marriage notice appointments in exceptional circumstances and in line with the current government guidance in relation to marriage.

Government guidance is that you should stay local and avoid traveling outside of your area, this means stay in your own village, town, or part of a city, where possible.  If your marriage is imminent and you still need to give notice of your intention to get married, we strongly suggest you make arrangements to change the date of your ceremony and in doing so avoid the need to travel during the current government lockdown. 

The form below can be used to request an appointment in relation to giving notice of your intention to enter into a marriage or a civil partnership, or to request an additional appointment if you have had to postpone your ceremony and the authorities that allow you to get married have now expired. 

Once this form has been submitted we will acknowledge receipt of your form but it may be several weeks before we contact you to discuss your request and arrange an appointment.  We do have a waiting list for appointments and when made available appointments will be prioritised appropriately.  We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. 

We have changed the locations where we work from and put a number of additional measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers, and to help minimise the spread of coronavirus.  In order to apply social distancing measures appointments when available will be single appointments and couples will not be permitted to attend together.

You can give your notice up to 12 months in advance of the date of your ceremony but do not need to do so. The minimal period between giving notice and your ceremony can take place is 28 days.  If your ceremony date is in the future please use this form to advise us that you will require an appointment to give notice and we will offer you an appointment when able to do so, this may be much closer to the date of your ceremony.

Notice of Marriage

Before you can get married or register your civil partnership, you must both give notice at your local register office, regardless of where you are holding your ceremony. You must give notice in person, this can be done together in the same appointment, however if you and your partner live in different areas you will each need to give notice in the area in which you live. 

If you live in Hull you will need to make an appointment to come into Hull Register Office, in the Wilson Centre. 

The appointment will take between 20 to 40 minutes.

You must give notice at least 28 days before you intend to get married or register a civil partnership, however you can give your notice up to 12 months in advance of the date of your ceremony. 

Information you will need to know

You need to know where you want to get married when you give notice. The place of marriage will be named on your marriage notice, if you want to change the venue for your ceremony you will need to give a new notice, which will mean paying for your appointment again.

If you are getting married abroad you may be required to attend to an appointment in order to obtain a notice of non impediment.  The rules vary from country to country and therefore you will need to contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership to find out what you need to do.

Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law - you won’t need to register it in the UK.

Visit Gov.UK website for more information about getting married abroad.

Fees payable when giving notice

It costs £35 per person to give notice. 

An additional fee of £10 per person will apply if you want an appointment on a Saturday. 

If you are a foreign national and your marriage needs to be referred to the Home Office a notice fee of £47 each is payable.

You will need to pay this fee when you book your appointment. 

If you fail to attend or do not have the required documents with you when you attend your appointment a £10 administration fee, per person will be payable to arrange a new appointment.  If you need to rearrange your appointment you must contact us at least 2 working days before your appointment.  If sufficient notice is not given you will need to pay the administration fee of £10 per person to rearrange.

A fee of up to £75 will apply to consider divorce documents if you have previously been married and divorced in another country.  This payment, when necessary, will be collected at the appointment.

Documents required when giving notice

When you give notice we will need to see proof of -

  • name
  • age
  • address
  • nationality. 
  • if you have been married before we will need to see evidence of how that marriage ended

Visit the GOV. UK website to find out more about documents that can be used

If you are a foreign national from outside the European Union or you are marrying or forming a Civil Partnership with a foreign national you can both come to the Hull Register Office to give notice however different rules apply.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more about Marriages and Civil Partnerships in the UK for foreign nationals

Please contact us prior to your appointment if you want to discuss which documents to bring with you. We will not be able to take your notice if you do not have the correct documents with you.

The minimum legal age for getting married or forming a civil partnership in England and Wales is 16 years of age, written consent will however be required for anyone under 18 when their notice is given. 

  • disabled toilet icon
  • accessible lift icon

The Wilson Centre
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone - 01482 300 300

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 10am - 3pm
Tuesday 10am - 3pm
Wednesday 10am - 3pm
Thursday 10am - 3pm
Friday 10am - 3pm
Saturday closed
Sunday closed