Coronavirus support and advice

Coronavirus - Your role in protecting Hull

The government has now transferred responsibility for local outbreaks of Coronavirus to local authorities. Hull City Council is ready for this change and has developed a highly detailed Outbreak Management Plan which sets out what our responsibilities are and how we will manage them.

Information on our Outbreak Management Plan

Coronavirus (COVID-19) support

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the UK government has implemented unprecedented measures in an attempt to reduce the spread of the virus. These measures may unfortunately have an impact on your daily lives, resulting in the need for extra support.

Information relating to furlough can be found on the following websites -

Visit Citizen's advice website

Visit the worker support webpage

Hull City Council and the voluntary sector are working together to provide support and advice in the following areas -

  • food
  • collection of your medication
  • befriending service - Chatty Hull

Food support

Shielding has now been paused and the Government food parcel deliveries by BRAKES to those deemed extremely clinically vulnerable came to an end on the 31 July 2020. If you are unable to go to the shops and you or a friend or family member have internet access and are able to shop online, we can secure you online supermarket access with Tesco and Iceland stores. 

To request priority online supermarket slots email  

If you are unable to shop online and still feel you require extra support with shopping due to Covid-19 you can request support from the NHS Volunteer Responders by calling 08081 963 636 between 8am and 8pm. You can find out more using the link below.

Find out more about the NHS Responders

If your health has deteriorated and you are now unable to shop for yourself due to reasons other than Covid-19 support may be available through Adult Social Care. You will need to complete a self assessment form. You can find out more and access the form using the link below. If you have been receiving support from a volunteer and are waiting for your assessment to be completed you can request a one off emergency shop to arrange this shop please email

Find out more about adult social care self assessment

If you have been told that you need to isolate due to symptoms/diagnosis or prior to a hospital admission and have no family or friends to help and are in urgent need of food you can request a one off food parcel by contacting the Vulcan Centre on 01482 229 230 10am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

If you or a friend or family member have internet access and are able to shop online, we can secure you online supermarket access with Tesco and Iceland stores. To request priority online supermarket slots please email

If you need support with shopping due to financial hardship you may be entitled to immediate financial help.  You can find out more about the available benefits support and welfare advice using the link below.

Access benefits support and welfare advice

You can request a one off food parcel by contacting the Vulcan Centre on telephone 01482 229 230 10am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

Collection of medication/prescriptions

You must contact your nominated pharmacy in the first instance to ask about delivery (this may be chargeable service).  If the pharmacy is unable to arrange delivery you can contact your GP and change your nominated pharmacy to one that offers a delivery service.

NHS responder helpline will take requests for prescription collection from anyone requiring extra support.  They can be contacted directly on 08081 963646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support. 

Find out more about NHS Responders

Befriending or General Support

A new befriending service will soon be available from Absolutely Cultured.  It will be an informal flexible arrangement where you will be matched with a volunteer(s) who would befriend you. The service may involve phone calls, letter writing, meeting up in a cafe, etc.

To request this service contact Absolutely Cultured by emailing

You may also be interested in social activities run in your community though some may be offereing limited access due to Covid -19.

Find out about  social activities

If you are struggling following shielding coming to an end you should contact your GP to discuss your issues, you can also find advice on health and wellbeing using the links below.

Government advice related to Covid -19 and staying mentally healthy

General advice and resources for staying mentally healthy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Report concerns about business breaches or get advice

Anyone can report concerns about potential breaches by businesses of the closure restrictions and social distancing during the pandemic or get advice on these matters.

Please provide details using the form below -

If you have concerns about members of public not observing government advice in relation to social distancing, you can report this to Humberside Police via their website or by calling 101 if they do not have access to the internet.

Access here to report the issue to the police

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice

Residents should ensure that all relevant advice provided by the Government, Public Health England and the NHS is followed. Links to these information sources can be found below -

Coronavirus UK Government response

NHS Guidance

Coronavirus General Advice

Information for children

The link below gives you access to a picture story book for parents to share with children, explaining Covid -19 which is in multiple languages. 

Access the My Hero is you, Storybook for Children on COVID - 19 

Advice in other languages

If you require guidance in another language, Doctors of the World have produced advice, available as PDF and video, in partnership with the British Red Cross, Migrant Help and Clear Voice. 

Visit the Doctors of the World website

Available languages -

Shqip / Albanian አማርኛ / Amharic Arabic / اللغة العربية
ՀԱՅԵՐԵՆ/ Armenian বাাংলা/Bengali Български/ Bulgarian
မြန်ြာ / Burmese 简体中文 / Simplified Chinese 繁體中文 / Traditional Chinese
CESKY / Czech Dari / درى EESTI/ Estonian
Farsi / فارسی Français / French DEUTSCH / German
EΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ / Greek ગજુ રાતી / Gujarati Hausa
हिन्दी/Hindi Magyar/Hungarian ITALIANO / Italian
Krio Kurdish Sorani/ کوردی سۆرانی LATVISKI \ Latvian
LIETUVIŲ KALBA / Lithuanian മലയാളം / Malayalam Oromo
Pashto / پشتو Język polski / Polish Português / Portuguese
[ਪੰਜਾਬੀ] / Punjabi Roma/Romanes Română / Romanian
Русский / Russian سنڌي / Sindhi SLOVENČINA / Slovak
Soomaali/Somali Español / Spanish Swahili/Kiswahili
தமிழ் / Tamil ትግርኛ / Tigrinya Türkçe / Turkish
Urdu / اردو Tiếng Việt/Vietnamese Wolof
אידיש / Yiddish

Several videos have been made by Leeds City Council to assist people who may have difficulty accessing written content or who's first language is not English to access Covid-19 advice.

The videos are available in 11 different languages -

Arabic -  اللغة العربیة – Bengali -  বাংলা Czech - Cesky
Farsi - فار Kurdish Sorani - کوردی سۆ رانی Polish - Jezyk Polski
Punjabi -  [ਪੰਜਾਬੀ] Romanian - Română Slovak - SLOVENČINA
Tigrinya - ትግርኛ Urdu / اردو

The following titles can be viewed on their YouTube channel

  • Covid-19 Spot the signs 
  • Covid-19 Hand washing
  • Covid -19 Essential advice

Visit Leeds City Council's YouTube channel

Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment Support

Coronavirus advice in British Sign Language

Emotional health and well-being support

Advice, support and useful resources to support children, young people and parents who are spending more time together as we all stay home to save lives, can be found on the How are you feeling website using the link below.

Access how are you feeling

Access Mind

Access Young Minds

Access information on COVID-19 and Mental Health


If you are interested in volunteering to support your community during these difficult times please visit our volunteering page for more information - 

Information on volunteering