Coronavirus support and advice

Coronavirus - Your role in protecting Hull

The government has now transferred responsibility for local outbreaks of Coronavirus to local authorities. Hull City Council is ready for this change and has developed a highly detailed Outbreak Management Plan which sets out what our responsibilities are and how we will manage them.

Information on our Outbreak Management Plan

Further to the Outbreak Management Plan the government has introduced the tiered Coronavirus Alert System which outlines additional limits to activity and interaction to be introduced as the number of cases and the risk of infection increases. Find out more about your role in protecting Hull and the additional restrictions by using the link below.

Your role in protecting Hull

Coronavirus (COVID-19) financial support

Test and Trace support payment

A new scheme has been announced by the government to help those on low incomes to self-isolate which runs until 31 January 2021. For more information please see the link below

Further information on the Test and Trace support payment

Covid Winter Grant Scheme  

The Government has announced the COVID Winter Grant Scheme, which will be made available from early December 2020 to support those most in need across England. It focuses on access to food and fuel only, for vulnerable families. There is no application process and those eligible families will be contacted direct.

More information on the level of support available and the eligibility criteria will be available soon. Support is not in the form of a payment but is likely to be vouchers or similar.

Other financial assistance

If you are a Council tenant and only needing financial assistance with your rent, and no other services relating to Covid-19, please contact your local housing office. If you just need to check your rent balance, you can use Housing Online. If you have never used Housing Online before, you will need to register first.

Register for Housing Online

If you are calling regarding financial help for your council tax, and no other services relating to Covid-19, please refer to the below page for help to pay your council tax.

Further information on help to pay your council tax

If you require any other financial assistance or support including private rented properties, furlough, debt advice etc then please contact Connect Well. 

Visit the Connect Well Hull website

You can complete a Coronavirus (Covid 19) – Community Support request using the link on this page if you are happy for us to share your details with Connect Well to receive a call back to discuss your needs.

Information relating to furlough can be found on the following websites -

Visit Citizen's advice website

Visit the worker support webpage

Coronavirus (COVID-19) support

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the UK government has implemented unprecedented measures in an attempt to reduce the spread of the virus. These measures may unfortunately have an impact on your daily lives, resulting in the need for extra support.

Clinically extremely vulnerable residents (CEVs)

If you received a letter from the government dated on or after the 5 January 2021 informing you that you or your child are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and you have no personal support network, you may choose to register for additional support, including priority supermarket delivery services,  via the government's shielding service. You can do this using the link below.

Register with the government's shielding service

Further advice for people who are extremely clinically vulnerable

If you require any further support and do not have anyone else to help please complete the form below. If you are happy for us to pass your details to those best-placed to help, we can arrange help and advice on -

  • food
  • medical concerns 
  • managing money
  • isolation

Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people are now invited to book for vaccination.  For more information please see below -

Access vaccination information


Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people are now eligible to be added to their energy provider’s ‘Priority Service Register’.

This means that additional services can be provided to you, including -

  • accessible billing
  • safety measures when someone from the energy supplier needs to enter your home
  • being able to nominate someone to manage communications on your account
  • whether a prepayment meter is appropriate for your situation.

Suppliers have also agreed to provide additional support to consumers in financial difficulty during the pandemic, which could include - 

  • pausing debt repayments
  • stopping disconnections
  • sending you prepayment top ups if you cannot leave the house
  • referring you to independent debt advisors for support.

Find out more information on the priority service register

General support available due to COVID-19

Food support

If you are unable to shop online and still feel you require extra support with shopping due to Covid-19 you can request support from the NHS Volunteer Responders by calling 08081 963 646 between 8am and 8pm. You can find out more using the link below.

Find out more about the NHS Responders

If your household is having to self isolate or you are unable to physically shop for yourself and you are able to shop online but can't reserve a slot, you may be able to access priority supermarket slots.

You can request this support by completing the form above. If you require any further support please telephone 300 307. It may take up to three days for your request to be actioned.

If you are in urgent need of food you can request a one off food parcel by contacting the Vulcan Centre on 01482 229 230 10am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

If you need support with shopping due to financial hardship you may be entitled to immediate financial help.  You can find out more about the available benefits support and welfare advice using the link below.

Access benefits support and welfare advice

Collection of medication/prescriptions

You must contact your nominated pharmacy in the first instance to ask about delivery (this may be chargeable service unless you are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable).  If the pharmacy is unable to arrange delivery you can contact your GP and change your nominated pharmacy to one that offers a delivery service.

NHS responder helpline will take requests for prescription collection from anyone requiring extra support.  They can be contacted directly on 08081 963 646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support. 

Find out more about NHS Responders

Transport to a medical appointment

If you require transport to a medical appointment, please refer to the NHS responders who may be able to provide assistance in doing this.

This service is available by telephone or online -

  • Telephone - 08081 963 646 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
  • Online - NHS Volunteer Responders (link opens in a new window)

Befriending or General Support

Hull and East Yorkshire Mind offer additional support and advice on a wide range of mental health and well-being matters. Find out more about Mind's service using the link below.

Visit the Mind website

You may be interested in social activities run in your community, though some may be offering limited access due to Covid -19.

Find out about social activities

General support is also available from Connect Well Hull. You can find out more about the services they offer using the link below.

Visit the Connect Well Hull website 

If you are struggling you should contact your GP to discuss your issues, you can also find advice on health and wellbeing using the links below.

Government advice related to Covid -19 and staying mentally healthy

General advice and resources for staying mentally healthy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Report concerns about business breaches or get advice

Anyone can report concerns about potential breaches by businesses of the closure restrictions and social distancing during the pandemic or get advice on these matters.

Please provide details using the form below -

If you have concerns about members of public not observing government advice in relation to social distancing, you can report this to Humberside Police via their website or by calling 101 if they do not have access to the internet.

Access here to report the issue to the police

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice

Residents should ensure that all relevant advice provided by the Government, Public Health England and the NHS is followed. Links to these information sources can be found below -

Coronavirus UK Government response

NHS Guidance

Coronavirus General Advice

Information for children

The link below gives you access to a picture story book for parents to share with children, explaining Covid -19 which is in multiple languages. 

Access the My Hero is you, Storybook for Children on COVID - 19 

Advice in other languages

If you require guidance in another language, Doctors of the World have produced advice, available as PDF and video, in partnership with the British Red Cross, Migrant Help and Clear Voice. 

Visit the Doctors of the World website

Available languages -

Shqip / Albanian አማርኛ / Amharic Arabic / اللغة العربية
ՀԱՅԵՐԵՆ/ Armenian বাাংলা/Bengali Български/ Bulgarian
မြန်ြာ / Burmese 简体中文 / Simplified Chinese 繁體中文 / Traditional Chinese
CESKY / Czech Dari / درى EESTI/ Estonian
Farsi / فارسی Français / French DEUTSCH / German
EΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ / Greek ગજુ રાતી / Gujarati Hausa
हिन्दी/Hindi Magyar/Hungarian ITALIANO / Italian
Krio Kurdish Sorani/ کوردی سۆرانی LATVISKI \ Latvian
LIETUVIŲ KALBA / Lithuanian മലയാളം / Malayalam Oromo
Pashto / پشتو Język polski / Polish Português / Portuguese
[ਪੰਜਾਬੀ] / Punjabi Roma/Romanes Română / Romanian
Русский / Russian سنڌي / Sindhi SLOVENČINA / Slovak
Soomaali/Somali Español / Spanish Swahili/Kiswahili
தமிழ் / Tamil ትግርኛ / Tigrinya Türkçe / Turkish
Urdu / اردو Tiếng Việt/Vietnamese Wolof
אידיש / Yiddish

Several videos have been made by Leeds City Council to assist people who may have difficulty accessing written content or who's first language is not English to access Covid-19 advice.

The videos are available in 11 different languages -

Arabic -  اللغة العربیة – Bengali -  বাংলা Czech - Cesky
Farsi - فار Kurdish Sorani - کوردی سۆ رانی Polish - Jezyk Polski
Punjabi -  [ਪੰਜਾਬੀ] Romanian - Română Slovak - SLOVENČINA
Tigrinya - ትግርኛ Urdu / اردو

The following titles can be viewed on their YouTube channel

  • Covid-19 Spot the signs 
  • Covid-19 Hand washing
  • Covid -19 Essential advice

Visit Leeds City Council's YouTube channel

Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment Support

Coronavirus advice in British Sign Language

Emotional health and well-being support

Advice, support and useful resources to support children, young people and parents who are spending more time together as we all stay home to save lives, can be found on the How are you feeling website using the link below.

Access how are you feeling

Access Mind

Access Young Minds

Access information on COVID-19 and Mental Health


If you are interested in volunteering to support your community during these difficult times please visit our volunteering page for more information - 

Information on volunteering