Elections Candidates and Agents

Upcoming elections

Due to COVID-19, this year’s local elections, combined with Police & Crime Commissioner elections, have been postponed and will now take place Thursday 6th May 2021. There will be local elections for one seat in all wards, other than Central and Pickering, where there are no local elections taking place. 

Information for Candidates and Agents

If you wish to be a candidate at an election, there are certain qualifications you must meet and disqualifications you must not meet.  The qualifications and disqualifications are differ depending on the type of election. 
It is up to the candidate to determine whether they meet the eligibility criteria. If there is any doubt, prospective candidates are advised to seek their own legal advice.

Political parties are responsible for selecting who will stand as their candidates at an election. If you are interested in standing for election for a particular political party, you will need to contact their local office direct.

As well as meeting the eligibility criteria, you will also need to complete a set of forms, which must then be submit by hand to the Returning Officer within a certain time period once an election has been called, known as the nomination period.

The forms you need to complete are the nomination form, consent to nomination form and home address form. If you are standing on behalf of a registered political party, you will also need to submit a certificate authorising you to use the party's name or one of their registered descriptions and if you would like one of the party’s registered emblems to appear on the ballot paper, a written request to use it.

The Electoral Commission have produced a range of guidance for candidates and agents for each different type of election, which can be found on The Electoral Commission website. They also provide links to copies of the specific nomination forms and other useful documents.

Standing as a candidate at local elections

You may be eligible to stand for election as a local Hull Councillor as a member of a political party or as an independent candidate.

To be able to stand as a candidate in local elections you must be aged 18 or older, be a British citizen,  an eligible Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of any member state of the European Union and meet one or more of the following qualifications  -

  • you are, and continue to be, registered as a local government elector in Hull from the day of your nomination onwards
  • you have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in Hull during the whole 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election
  • your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in Hull
  • you have lived in Hull during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election

Apart from meeting the qualifications for standing for election, you must also not be disqualified.  You cannot be a candidate if at the time of your nomination and on polling day:

  • you are employed by the local authority or hold a paid office under the authority (including joint boards or committees)
  • you hold a politically restricted post
  • you are subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
  • you are the mayor for a combined authority area that the local authority is a part of
  • you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence) without the option of a fine, during the five years before polling day

Standing as a candidate at UK Parliamentary elections

To stand as a candidate at a UK Parliamentary election you must, on the day you are nominated and on polling day, be -                                                                                                                           

There is no requirement in law for you to be a registered elector in the UK.

Apart from meeting the qualifications for standing for election, you must also not be disqualified form standing at the time of nomination and on the day of the election. The full range of disqualifications is complex and prospective candidates are advised to consult The Electoral Commission’s guidance for Candidates and agents on standing for election at a UK Parliamentary general election.

If you have any queries you can also contact the Electoral Services Team on 01482 613 386 or email electoral.services@hullcc.gov.uk