Apply for a proxy vote
To apply for a proxy vote for these future elections, please print off the below proxy application form. Complete it and return it to us via post. You can also send a scanned copy to us via email, making sure all information is readable.
If you are unable to complete the form due to a disability or medical reason please email us to request an application to waive the requirement for you to provide a signature.
You can apply for a proxy vote for -
- one election
- a specific period
You may have to get someone to support your application if you are applying for a permanent proxy vote.
Application to vote by post as a proxy
Post to -
Alfred Gelder Street
Email to -
Voting by proxy means that you can appoint someone else to vote on your behalf. This person is called your proxy.
Your proxy can either vote at your polling station or apply to vote by post as your postal proxy.
To apply for a proxy vote, both you and your proxy must be registered to vote and meet any of the following criteria -
- you are unable to go to the polling station for one particular election e.g. if you are away on holiday
- you have a physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station on election day
- your employment means you cannot go to the pilling station on election day
- your attendance on an education course means you cannot go to the polling station on election day
- you are a British citizen living overseas who is registered to vote (Parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections and referendums only)
Your proxy must be able to vote in the type of election concerned and they must not vote as a proxy for more than two people, unless they are their -
- civil partner
If you appoint a proxy, you can vote if you wish, but only if your proxy has not already voted on your behalf and has not got a postal vote for you.
Proxy postal votes
If you have been set up as a proxy for an elector and you are not able to go to their polling station on polling day, you can apply to vote for them by post. If you do this, you and the person you are voting for are not able to vote at the polling station.
The deadline for applying for a postal proxy vote is the same as postal vote applications, which is 5pm on the 11th working day before an election.
Cancelling or amending your proxy vote
If you no longer wish to have a proxy vote, you need to let us know in writing, providing your full name, full address and you must sign the letter.
If you wish to amend your proxy vote, you need to submit a new proxy application.
The deadline to cancel or change an existing proxy vote is 5pm on the 11th working day before an election or referendum.
The deadline to apply for a new proxy vote is 5pm on sixth working day before an election or referendum.
For further information:
- Electoral commission how to cast your vote
- Contact Electoral Services on 01482 613 386