Council tax discounts and disregards

Council tax discounts

Single person discount

The full council tax bill is based on two adults living in a property as their main home. If only one adult lives there as their main home, the bill is reduced by 25 per cent. To apply for your single person discount contact us by calling 01482 300 300.

It is important that if your circumstances change and you are no longer a single occupier you tell us as soon as possible. If you are late to inform us, we backdate any change to when it happened. 

If you are only away from your home for a short period, intend to return to your property, and still keep your belongings in the property, it is still classed as your main residence. Any remaining occupiers would not be entitled to a discount.

A single occupier discount cannot be awarded for any unoccupied properties.

We annually review all Council Tax accounts where a customer is receiving a 25 per cent Single Person Discounts.

If you receive a review form you must complete and return it within 21 days of the date on the letter.

If you do not respond your single person discount is cancelled back to the beginning of the financial year and a revised bill issued.  If you disagree with our decision, you can appeal in writing with the reasons why within 21 days of the date of the revised bill.

To knowingly provide false information, may result in a fine under Schedule 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and retrospective charges may be applied to your Council Tax account. 

Members of the armed forces

Unfortunately we are unable to grant a discount at the property if one of the occupiers is away in the armed forces. This is because the house would still be classed as their main residence for taxation purposes. This applies to all those in the armed forces throughout the country and is in accordance with the government guidelines.

However, all armed forces personnel deployed on operations overseas, who normally pay council tax, get a tax free payment on the cost of council tax paid directly by the Ministry of Defence. 

Council tax disregards

When we look at the number of adults who live in the property there are some people who, because of their circumstances, are not counted. This means that even if two adults live at the same address, if one of the adults falls into one of the below categories you still may qualify for a council tax discount.

Full time students 

Spouses of overseas students

A non-British spouse or dependant of a student who is prevented by the terms of your permission to be in the UK from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits.

Foreign language assistants

If you are registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges.

Student nurses

If you are on a course that leads to registration under any of parts 1– 6, or 8, of the register maintained under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.

18 and 19 year olds

In full time or further education.

Care workers

Those who are employed by, or have been introduced to a disabled person that employs you, by a local council, the Government or a charitable organisation. You must  live in the premises provided by your employer, and care for the disabled person for at least 24 hours per week and earn no more than £44 per week.


Those who provide care or support for at least 35 hours each week to someone who lives with you that has a disability, who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18. The person cared for needs to be entitled to at least one type of allowance or disablement pension.


You must not earn more than £195 gross per week.

Youth training trainees

Those aged below 25  receiving training under the youth training scheme, such as TCT, Options, Future and Next Step.

Severely mentally impaired adults

Those certified by a doctor to be suffering from severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning, which appears to be permanent, for instance Alzheimer’s disease. You also need to be entitled to at least one of a number of benefits.


Unless you are imprisoned for non-payment of fines or council tax.

Homeless hostel or night shelter residents

Members of religious communities

such as a monastery or convent where you are dependent on them for your material needs and have no personal income or capital.

Hospital patients

Those who are permanently resident in hospital with no plans to move back to your previous home.

Residential care home, nursing home and hospice residents

If you are a permanent resident with no plans to move back to your previous home.

Visiting Forces

Members of visiting Forces and other international institutions and their dependants.

Volunteer Reserve Forces

 A person living on their own and who is a member of the Volunteer Reserve Forces, can apply for a 75 per cent council tax discount if they are enlisted for a period of 28 days or more at any one time.

Special constables 

 A special constable who is a council tax payer in Hull (jointly or severally liable) would be able to claim a 50 per cent discount on their council tax.

Care Leavers Discount

For the purposes of this discount a care leaver is a young person who left care as a result of reaching 18 years of age.  A single occupier can get a full one hundred percent discount and if they are living in a household, the liable person could get a twenty five percent discount.

For those aged 18 to 20, the discount is awarded based on information from the Council’s Leaving Care Team.  Those who wish to apply should contact their Social Worker who will then advise the Council Tax department as appropriate.
Care Leavers who move into the City aged 18 to 20 are able to apply directly to the Council for the discount. Verification of status is required from the Local Authority who cared for them up to the age of 18.

Those aged 21 to 24 years of age can apply for a discretionary care leaver’s discount which will be considered using their income against current needs.  Those who wish to apply should contact their Social Worker who will then advise the Council Tax department as appropriate.

To apply you can download our council tax application form.