Council Tax single person discount

The full Council Tax bill is based on two adults living in a property as their main home.

If only one adult lives there as their main home, a single persons discount can be applied for and if awarded can reduce the bill 25 per cent. 

If you receive a single person discount review form you must complete and return it within 14 days of the date on the letter.If you do not respond your single person discount is cancelled back to the beginning of the financial year and a revised bill issued.

If you are only away from your home for a short period, intend to return to your property, and still keep your belongings in the property, it is still classed as your main residence. Any remaining occupiers would not be entitled to a discount.

If you have been awarded a single person discount and you have had a change in your circumstances that may affect your award, you need to tell us about the change

Tell us about the change

A single occupier discount cannot be awarded for any unoccupied properties.

Please complete this form if you are applying/ cancelling -

  • single person

Other discounts and disregards may be available to you for further information discounts and disregards

To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing your Council Tax account via your myAccount.

If you do not have a myAccount, you can register using the blue button below.

If you have already registered for a myAccount, you can access these services by logging in using the blue button below.