Humber emergency planning service privacy notice

What do we use the information for?

Humber Emergency Planning Service (HEPS) prepares emergency plans on behalf of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Hull City Council, North East Lincolnshire Council and North East Lincolnshire Council.  The emergency plans are to allow the local authorities to respond swiftly and efficiently to a declared emergency in the area.  HEPS also produces multi agency emergency plans, on behalf of the Humber Local Resilience Forum partnership and for some industrial sites in accordance with statutory requirements.  

The Service holds the following personal information to support the production and maintenance of effective emergency plans-

  • contact information so that people can be contacted in the event of an emergency or potential emergency
  • minutes of meetings held in connection with emergency preparedness to evidence that appropriate preparations have been made  
  • records of who has attended training and exercises to evidence that plans have tested and individuals trained.   

What information do we hold and use?

The Service collects and processes the following types of personal data in order to provide the services-

  • personal information, for example names, home address, work telephone number, home telephone number, mobile phone number, email addresses

On what grounds do we use the information?

There is a legal obligation and statutory duty to collect and share certain information including-

  • Civil Contingencies Act 2004
  • Control of Major Accident Hazard Regulations 2015 
  • Pipeline Safety Regulations 1996

How do we collect this information?

Most of the personal data we collect and process is provided by either by you or your employer.  We also hold some emergency plans that hold personal data, which are owned by other organisations, such as Town and Parish Councils. 

Who we share your information with?

We will share your information internally within the appropriate Local Authorities to people who have a pre-identified role in the response to an emergency.  We may also share your information with an emergency service, the Environment Agency, an NHS organisation, a utility provider, or similar organisations, in connection with multi agency emergency preparedness, response or recovery. 

We will share personal information with Everbridge Inc, who provides a mass notification system on behalf of HEPS.  They will have access to your information purely for the purposes of supporting our system and will not use your information for any other purpose. 

We may be required to share some information regarding meeting attendance, training and exercising to regulators, the government or to courts of law.  

How long do we store information and is it secure?

Contact information will be reviewed and updated at least annually.  Historical versions of emergency contact information are not stored.

The Council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention page. 
Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.
Contact information is held securely on the Council’s ICT network and on a secure extranet system.  A limited number of hard copy emergency telephone directories are produced and stored securely in control rooms and issued to key local authority personnel.

What rights do you have? 

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have are outlined on the data protection rights page. In most cases, people will have the following rights-

  • the right of access access - You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing
  • the right to rectification - If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email and we will amend the information accordingly
  • the right to restrict processing - Should you wish to limit how we use your data please email the reason for your request

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the Council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance; contact details are available on the general privacy information page. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.