We are registered as a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998 as we collect and process personal information about you. Our registration number is Z6005621.
This notice explains how we use and share your information to provide services to you.
How we collect your personal information
Personal information may be collected by -
- paper or electronic form
- myAccount or online forms
- face to face (via our employees or partners)
Why we collect information about you
We need to collect and hold information about you to -
- deliver public services
- confirm your identity to provide some services
- contact you by post, email or telephone
- be aware of your needs to provide services that you request
- understand what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
- help us build up a picture of how we are performing at delivering services to you and how these services can be improved
- prevent and detect fraud and corruption through inappropriate use of public funds
- make sure we meet our statutory obligations including those related to equality and diversity, and health and safety
We will always be open and transparent with you about how we use your personal data and who it is shared with. If we do not have enough information, or your permission to use certain information, we may not be able to provide your requested product or service.
How we use your information
We will conform to the Data Protection Act and use your information to -
- perform the service you requested
- carry out law enforcement functions including licensing, planning enforcement and trading standards
- process financial transactions including grants, payments and benefits involving the council, or where we are acting on behalf of other government bodies such as The Department of Work and Pensions
- protect individuals from the risk of harm or injury, where necessary
- allow statistical analysis of data (that you can not be personally identified from) so we can target and plan the provision of services
If you have any questions about how we use your personal details, contact the Information Governance Team on 01482 300 300 or via email at email@example.com
How we keep your information safe
We respect our responsibility to hold your personal information on your behalf and keep it safe by -
- only retaining it for as long as needed
- checking that effective safeguards are in place
- making sure all employees handling your information have had appropriate training
- having processes in place to monitor, identify and deal with misuse by employees
- processing all personal data in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act
Who processes your information
Our elected members and employees are only given access to your personal information for the specific purpose for which they are authorised. They may not disclose your personal data to anyone else without your consent unless they are legally obliged or empowered to do so.
If you make a complaint about council services or sign a petition that is presented to a council meeting your personal data may be shared with your local ward councillors, committee members and council employees working in the service concerned.
How we share your information
We may need to pass your information to partner organisations that provide the service. These partners are obliged to keep your details secure through a community charter and use them only to fulfil your request.
If we wish to pass your sensitive or confidential information onto a third party, we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do so, or where we have good reason to believe that failing to share the information would put you or someone else at risk.
We may disclose information to other partners where it is necessary such as to comply with a legal obligation or where permitted under the Data Protection Act. This includes the prevention and/or detection of crime.
We will not pass your personal information to external organisations for marketing or sales purposes or any commercial use without your prior consent.
We will only transfer your personal information overseas where we are obliged to do so by law. Also in certain cases where there is a specific requirement to do so (your consent will be obtained beforehand).
myAccount (customer account)
If you register for myAccount you are asked for personal information such as -
- date of birth
- email address
- telephone number
This personal information is used to process your service requests.
Closure of myAccount
You can close myAccount at any time. Your account will be closed within 28 days of the request.
This website automatically logs information about your visit such as your browser type and the length of your visit. We use this information to understand how visitors interact with the site so we can make informed decisions about design improvements. Our website does not collect any personal information about you.
To help us meet our duty to improve the health of the population we serve, we use data from a range of sources including -
- the Office for National Statistics
- Health and Social Care Information Centre
- local surveys
We are required by law to protect the public funds we adminster. We may share information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds.
Electoral registration officers have a legal duty to review council held databases for the purposes of maintaining the electoral register. The information we disclose to the electoral registration officer is limited to that which they require to maintain the register such as -
- names of people living at any address
- their nationalities
- their leave to enter the UK
- their leave to remain in the UK
CCTV systems are installed in public areas across the city for public safety and the prevention and detection of crime. Signs notifying you that CCTV is in operation are displayed in these areas. They also advise you who to contact for further information.
Images captured by CCTV are not kept for longer than is necessary.
Subject access request
You can submit a subject access request if you require a copy of any CCTV images of yourself.
If you email us, we may store all or part of the details from them on our computer systems. We do not routinely retain all emails we receive.
You will always be informed if we are recording or monitoring any telephone call you make or receive from us. All calls to our contact centre are recorded.
Audio recordings are only used for the purposes stated in this privacy notice and in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act. This includes employee training.
You can submit a subject access request to if you require a copy of any audio recordings that involve you.
How to amend your information
If you believe any of the information we hold about you is incorrect you have the right to have this amended.
Please contact the service holding the information or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to opt out
You have the right to request that we stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service. This may cause delays or prevent us providing you with a service.
To opt out email us explaining what you want to stop and why. Send your email to email@example.com
It may not always be possible to fulfil your request as it may be necessary to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
We will reply to you within 21 days and let you know what action we have taken with your request.