Housing Benefit, DHP payments and C/Tax Reduction

What we use your information for

We use personal information in the administration of Housing Benefit, Discretionary Housing Payments and Council Tax Reduction.
We require personal and financial information on the household because entitlement is means tested; the information is required in order to determine entitlement.

What information we hold and use

The types of information we hold and process includes -

  • names,addresses and contact information
  • biographical and family information
  • dates of birth and national insurance number
  • financial information and bank account details
  • employer and employment data
  • housing costs
  • landlord information
  • health, welfare and safeguarding information
  • appointees/ representatives details


Legal basis for processing your personal data

Information is processed in order to comply with our legal obligation and in the performance of a task we carry out in the public interest. Special category data relating to health and welfare is processed only where necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of Union or Member State Governing legislation is contained within -

  • social security administration act
  • housing benefit regulations
  • local government finance act
  • decision making and appeals regulations
  • welfare reform act

How we collect information

Information is collected from

  • claimants and their appointees/ representives
  • landlords
  • other council departments
  • the department for working pensions
  • professionals at other organiations including GPs, health services, police, Welfare advisory services, Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs, Valuation Service.

It is collected using forms, letters, e-mail, telephone contact and from details held on computer systems

Who we share inforamation with

We do not make your personal information available to companies for marketing purposes.
Information is shared with other Council Departments and external organisations where necessary to deliver public functions; it is shared where the law allows and in order to maintain accuracy, detect fraud and protect public funds

  • The Department for Work and  Pensions
  • HMRC
  • The Valuation Office
  • The Tribunal Service
  • Collection Agencies


Security and retention of your personal data

Personal data is stored within Hull City Council’s secure computer network and offices that have controlled access. It is retained for as long as there is a business and legislative need for it, normally for the current year, plus 6 years following the end of service

What rights you have

You have -

  • a right of access to see the infornmation we hold about you
  • a right to rectification where you believe information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete
  • a right to restrict processing and a right to object to processing where certain circumstances apply

To exercise these rights you need to contact us as detailed below. For rectification, resstricion or objection you need to provide the reasons for your request.

In limited instances, your personal information maybe processed for individual automated decision making. It is not used for profiling of individuals for marketing purposes.


Questions, compalints and comments

More details about how Hull City Council uses personal information can be found on The Hull City Council website

Information security breaches should be reported to us either by

Telephone: 01482 300 300

E-mail: information@hullcc.gov.uk

Enquiries about how your personal data is processed can be directed to the Housing Benefit team

Housing Benefits
Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Telephone: 01482 300 303

E-mail: benefitssr@hullcc.gov.uk

As a public authority we are required to have a Data Protection Officer. You may contact them for more information or with any concerns about how your personal information is being used –

Hull City Council
Data Protection Officer
Room 11
The Guildhall

E-mail: information@hullcc.gov.uk

If you are not happy with the outcome of a complaint you have the right to complain to the regulator.

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 0303 123 or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number

Make an online enquiry - https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/