Music service privacy notice

What we use your information for

We use personal information when administering instrumental and vocal tuition that takes place in schools as part of an agreement to provide such tuition by the school.

We also use personal information when administering activities at The Albemarle Music Centre or in other locations when we are provided with such information by families.

What information we hold and use 

The types of information we hold and process includes 

  • names, addresses and contact information
  • biographical and family information
  • school and school based tuition attendance details
  • dates of Birth
  • financial information and payment details
  • video and audio recordings which are submitted by the performer

Legal basis for processing your personal data

Information is processed in the performance of our public tasks. Relevant legislation is contained within:

  • The Education Act 1996
  • The Welfare Reform Act 2012
  • Children and Families Act 2014

Where a child, parent or guardian submits music performance footage we only process this information on the basis of your full consent.  Where consent is withdrawn we will remove any footage that has been published on our website and fully delete the data at the earliest opportunity.  Please note that the Council cannot prevent third parties making copies of footage that is published online.

How we collect information

Information is collected from - 

  • applicants and their Appointees / Representatives
  • schools and academies
  • other Council departments

It is collected using forms (online application), letters, email, telephone contacts and from details held on Council computer systems.

Who we share information with

We do not make your personal information available to companies for marketing purposes. Information may be shared with other Council Departments and external organisations where necessary to deliver public functions. For example it may be shared where the law allows and in order to maintain accuracy, detect fraud and protect public funds, for example with Schools and Academies or the Council’s Audit Service.

Performance footage is published online but any footage which includes identifiable persons will only be published with the individual’s clear consent. Consent can be withdrawn at any time and we will take the footage off our website and delete all copies.

Anonymised information, including pupil numbers and take up of free school meals is shared with the Arts Council as evidence for the Music service’s grant funding.

Security and retention of your personal data

Personal data is stored within Hull City Council’s secure computer network and offices which have controlled keycard access. It is retained for as long as there is a business and legislative need for it, normally for the current year, plus 6 years following the end of service. You may ask for your information to be deleted at any time and the Council will consider whether all or some of the details can be safely deleted and then inform you of the outcome in writing.

Your Rights

You have - 

  • a ‘right of access’ to see the information we hold about you
  • a ‘right to rectification’ where you believe information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete
  • a ‘right to restrict processing’
  • a ‘right to object’ to processing

To exercise these rights you need to contact us as detailed below. For rectification, restriction or objection you need to provide the reasons for you request. It is not used for profiling of individuals for marketing purposes.

Questions, complaints and comments

More details about how Hull City Council uses personal information can be found on The Hull City Council website. Information security breaches should be reported to us either by telephone on 01482 300 300 or email at 

Enquiries about how your personal data is processed can be directed to the Music Service –

Telephone: 01482 318 800


As a public authority we are required to have a Data Protection Officer. You may contact them for more information or with any concerns about how your personal information is being used;

Hull City Council
Data Protection Officer
Room 11 
The Guildhall
HU1 2AA 

If you are not happy with the outcome of a complaint you have the right to complain to the regulator. 

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone - 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number

Make an online enquiry