Housing Compensation Scheme

If you have suffered any of the following - 

  • accidental damage to your property or belongings during delivery of the repairs service
  • financial loss as a result of the Council or its contractor being negligent

and you wish to make a claim for compensation you can make a claim online, in writing or over the telephone.

The following information is required:

  • the time and date of the incident
  • the location of the incident
  • the nature of the work being carried out
  • the name of the contractor (if known)
  • details of any damage caused and/or any financial loss incurred
  • the approximate cost of the damage (if known)
  • evidence of the damaged item/s (for example photographs or proof of purchase)

If you make your claim in writing, please address your claim to:

Housing Investment Service
Warehouse 9
Hull City Council
Guildhall Road
Kingston Upon Hull

In some cases it may be necessary for the Council to carry out an inspection. If this is the case we will make an appointment with you.

We will write to you within three working days of receiving your claim to acknowledge that we have received it.

We will contact you within 15 working days of receiving your claim with the final outcome of our investigation.

If you are unhappy with the decision made and you request for your claim to be reviewed, a senior officer will review your claim and you will be given a deadline for receiving a response which is normally within 20 working days. If you are unhappy with this outcome you will need to seek legal advice.