Housing, your home and where you live

Having somewhere to call home which is safe, secure and warm is very important. We will work with you to make sure that you have somewhere suitable to live so that you can have some stability which will enable you to concentrate on things like education and your health. 

16/17 years  

We would want you to remain in care until you are at least 18 years of age in places like a Fostering placement or Children’s Home, however if you chose to leave care before you are 18 we will ensure that you have somewhere suitable to live and the right support to live independently.

18 years + Planning for your future

There are a range of accommodation options available to you such as -

  • Staying Put
  • Staying Close 
  • Supported Lodgings
  • Semi Independent accommodation
  • Shared accommodation 
  • HCC Tenancy

Your Personal Adviser will work with you to ensure you have a place to call home and that you feel safe and secure. The accommodation providers we use will work with you to test out and develop the skills you need to live independently.

University/vacation accommodation 

The Leaving Care team will ensure that you access all of the relevant support available to you around attending University (See University Policy link). This could mean living in halls of residence or other accommodation depending on your circumstances. We will also ensure that you have somewhere to stay during academic breaks.

Release from custody

Your support worker will work with you and other services such as Hull Youth Justice Services and Probation to ensure that there is a suitable plan for your release from custody. You should be able expect that you will know where you will be living when you are released from custody.

Homelessness/Emergency Accommodation

If you come into difficulty around your accommodation and are homeless or you become at risk of being made homeless you can access advice and support through Housing Related Services (HRS) and the Single Point of Coordination (SPOC). This support is provided by the Targeted Youth Support Team based at Kenworthy House. You should contact your Personal Adviser as soon as possible to complete a referral form and a arrange a meeting to look into your situation. 

TYS will help to identify suitable emergency accommodation and will also complete a Personalised Housing Plan (PHP) in conjunction with your Personal Adviser which will help you to plan your journey towards more settled accommodation.