Managing money is sometimes tricky and there are lots of things that can go wrong if you do not manage your money well. We want to ensure that you have the skills and knowledge to be able to manage your money and maximise your income so that you can afford to do things like go out for meals, have fun with your friends and save up for more ambitious things like holidays and days out.

Passport to a Property

Your Personal adviser can refer you to the Passport to a Property program run by Targeted Youth Services. The program will help you to think about budgeting and managing money as well as all the other practical things you will need to know to progress into adulthood and independence. 


The Leaving care team works closely with the Job Centre Plus to ensure that young people can access support quickly and avoid getting into financial difficulty. All benefits will shortly be accessed via one route called Universal Credit. Your personal Adviser will support you to get ready for making an application and ensure you have all the documents you need and can access the online application process.
Young People receiving Personal Allowance payments and those aged 18-21 years who are claiming relevant benefits will receive a top up to £60 so that they can access the full potential of their income at the cash point.


16-19 Guaranteed Bursaries 
Care Leavers are guaranteed a bursary for Care Leavers through the Governments 16-19 Bursary scheme. Your Personal Adviser will help you to make application through your education/training provider and provide letters you will need to prove that you are a Care Leaver.


We want to encourage people to get involved in any activity that might help them move towards training or employment. If you are attending a course of education, training or work experience activities and cannot access a bursary we will consider paying you an incentive and support you with travel/meals.

CT Exemption/DHP

Hull City Council offers a Council Tax exemption for Care leavers 18-21 years of age. There may also be circumstances were we can request a discretionary exemption 22-25 years which will be based on an assessment of your needs.
If you are completing an apprenticeship program, and on the minimum apprenticeship wage, we can offer support so that you do not have to struggle to pay your living expenses. We can help with rent payments, travel and lunches. 
If you are employed on a low wage we can also help you to apply for additional support with your accommodation costs.
Emergency payments/support
Young people who find themselves in financial difficulty can access support from the 16-25 team. This will be based on an assessment of your needs. The support we give may be in cash or in kind (Food Parcels/travel vouchers) or a combination of both. It is important that you can provide us with all of the information we need to be able to assess your needs and offer you the appropriate support.
It is expected that you are able to take responsibility for your own finances and will be supported to develop your skills to be able to manage this.

Junior ISA

When you turn 18 you will be able to take over responsibility for your Junior ISA. Speak to your PA who can help you do this