Family, Relationships and Identity

Access to Records

You have a right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care.

If you want to see your social care records you will need to make a request in writing and provide some form of identification, if you don’t have any current ID but you have a Personal Adviser or a worker supporting you they can confirm your identity.  If you are under 18 you can still make the request but the council would need to be sure that you understand what looking at your records means, it might also be the case that you need some help reading your files in terms of the information you will see or you may need help to understand your past.

If you make a request the council legally has 30 days to provide your records however if there are lots of files and documents it will probably take longer than this.  The Data Protection Act allows the council to extend this deadline for up to 2 months in cases where there are lots of records as each page has to be read to identify information about other people which we cannot share with you as you are only entitled to information about yourself. 

You should ask your Personal Adviser for information/ advice on how to access your records.