Planning applications

Access and comment on a planning application

To access a planning application you need one of the following -

  • a reference number
  • address
  • postcode

Using Public Access, you may view details of property along with planning applications submitted to us. You can also comment on planning applications.

About the data held on the Hull planning web pages

  • information submitted on a planning application will be made publicly available either in an electronic format or manual format
  • this site contains records which date back to 1 January 1995. It is not a complete database of all the information held by us. These web pages are not an alternative to traditional searches and should not be used as a resource to give full planning history of a site
  • a complete set of all records - including those prior to 1 January 1995 - may be viewed at The Wilson Centre, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull. 

Public Access enables us to publish associated documents. Under the recommendations given to us by the Information Commissioner, we make every effort not to disclose-

  • signatures on applications
  • email addresses
  • telephone numbers

Commenting on planning applications

Any written comments you make about an application, by law, must be publicly available.

You can make a comment -

  • online through Public Access
  • by email to
  • in writing to - Planning Department, Hull City Council, The Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

You can also contact, and submit your comment to your local Councillor.

Find your local Councillor

In all correspondence you should include-

  • the date
  • name
  • address
  • application number
  • site address

Responses will be published on our website, and will be open for viewing by members of the public. 

Your comment  if submitted electronically using Public Access will publish the content of your comment only – your personal data such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number are automatically withheld from publishing. Please be aware though that if the applicant asks who submitted the comment we are obliged to tell them so if you have any objections to this you must let us know. Anything you write in the comments box though will be published on the website so please be aware of potentially identifying yourself through other ways (e.g. I live opposite the property) as this would be public for anybody to see.

If you submit an e-mail or postal comment we shall publish your name and postal address and the content of your comment, however redact (blank out or obscure from public view), your e-mail address, telephone number and signature.

The council will not post comments which it considers to contain libellous, discriminatory or otherwise offensive remarks. 

Please be aware that it may be possible for your name and address to be browsed through internet browsers and search engines such as Google and Yahoo.

Exceptions for anonymity

We will consider any special circumstance of requests to remove comments, for example of a person who is the subject of harassment. If you feel your comment should be kept confidential please write a letter, marked confidential to Planning Services.

Please read the disclaimer below before using the Public Access system.


We take every care to ensure that the information provided on this site is accurate, we cannot accept any liability or responsibility should you rely on this information provided and subsequently find that it is incorrect. In particular, data before 1 April 2004 may be less reliable.

Every effort is made to update the information on each application, but there may be occasions when there is a delay in updating due to exceptional volume of information to be processed and published on the website.

We are the data controller for personal information you choose to submit on this page. Your personal information is processed to ensure we meet our statutory duty under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to take account of responses to consultations.

We will review your comments when making our decision and may contact you with feedback or queries on this subject.  Your personal information will not be published or disclosed to any other organisation unless we are permitted or required to do so by law. Where issues cross the City boundary details will be shared with East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

The details you submit will be retained indefinitely in accordance with the requirements of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990.

If you have questions about how we use your information you can contact

If you have concerns or wish to complain about how your personal information has been used you may contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by email at or calling 01482 300 300. Alternatively you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office who enforce privacy and data protection legislation.

Visit the Information Commissioners Office to find out more

Or by telephone 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate).


All plans drawings and materials submitted to us are protected by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

You may only download and print materials for consultation purposes. Any further copies must not be made without the prior permission of the copyright owner, the applicant, agent and architect.

Access our records

We publish weekly lists allowing you to access details of recently submitted planning applications.

Access our planning application weekly updates

Our online records date back to 1 January 1995. A complete set of records including those prior to 1 January 1995 can be accessed at the The Wilson Centre.

Find out more about The Wilson Centre

Check if you need planning permission

Find out whether your project requires planning approval via the Planning Portal website

You can also get confirmation of whether you need to apply for planning permission from us by filling in our planning permission enquiry form.

Email your completed form to

There is a £50 charge for this service which can be paid by telephoning 01482 300 300 to pay by credit or debit card. Alternatively cheques can be made payable to 'Hull City Council'.

Find out information about receiving pre planning application advice

If you do require planning permission, the process takes approximately eight weeks from the day your application is confirmed as valid. The progress of your application can be followed via the Planning Portal.

Apply for planning permission

You can apply for planning permission through the Planning Portal. 

If you cannot find the answer to your question on this page, or you require additonal information or guidance from us please submit your enquiry using the below form -