Adult support - Council Tax disabled relief

Due to industrial action between our waste contractor FCC and Unison, there may be disruption to waste collection services in Hull between Tuesday 1st May and Monday 14th May.

Due to the disruption, collections may be earlier or later than normal so we would encourage residents to make sure their bin is presented for collection by 7am.

We appreciate residents’ patience through this period of potential service disruption.

If you are a disabled Council Tax Payer, or you have a disabled person/child living permanently with you, you may get a reduction in your council tax.

To qualify the property must be the sole or main residence of a person/child who is permanently and substantially disabled and  -

  • have a room, other than a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory, in the property which is mainly used for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • have a second kitchen or second bathroom which is used for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • the disabled person/child needs to use a wheelchair indoors and there is space for them to do so

The reduction is awarded by treating the property as if it is in the Council Tax band immediately below the actual band of the property. So a band B property would be treated as if it is in band A. If the property is in band A, the council tax bill will be reduced by 1/9th