Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income and need help to pay your rent, you might be able to claim and receive Housing Benefit.

Who can claim

If you are below pension age you may be able to claim if you are on a low income (even if you don’t receive any other benefits) and have savings and capital less than £16,000.

If you are of pension age you may be able to claim if you are on a low income and have savings less than £16,000 or receive Pension Credits.

Find out when you will reach Pension age on the GOV.UK website

Students - If you are a student you may be able to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. There are restrictions as to who can apply. 

Further information can be found on the GOV.UK website

Check how much you could receive

You can check how much you could receive by using our benefit calculator

How to apply

You must fill in a Housing Benefit application form.

You can receive a form by - 

  • emailing benefitssr@hullcc.gov.uk
  • calling 01482 300 300 and requesting a form
  • visiting one of our Customer Service Centres
  • downloading and printing the application form below


You do not need to apply to us if you made a claim in the last four weeks for one of the following (if it was more than four weeks ago you will need to fill in a form) -

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance

The application form tells you what we need proof of. You must make sure you provide all the proofs we need.

Visit our supporting proofs page for more information

Help with forms

If you need help to complete your application form you can visit a Customer Service Centre or ask a third party to help you such as a friend, relative, housing officer, landlord or welfare support officer.

With your consent third parties, such as an appointee can be told information and contacted about your claim.

Visit our third party page for more information.

Sharing information with your landlord

With your permission we can share information with your landlord. this might help us deal with your application more quickly.

More information about sharing information with your landlord can be found here

Backdated payments

Payments of Housing Benefit normally start from the Monday after you make a claim.

If you are of pension age this is automatically considered when you submit your application.

If you are of working age the maximum period a backdate can be awarded for is one month.

You must have a good reason why the backdate is being requested and the application was not made at the earlier date.

To apply you need to put the request in writing. Your request should -

  • show the date you want your benefit to start from
  • give as much detail as possible stating the reasons why you did not claim earlier
  • include any supporting evidence

If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools