You can apply for free school meals if your child attends a Hull school or sixth form on a full time basis (this includes Hull College 14-16 direct entry, academies and free schools) by registering on My School Portal and completing the online form. You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits -
- income support
- income based jobseekers allowance
- income related employment and support allowance (ESA – IR)
- universal credit
- asylum seekers (receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
- the guaranteed element of state pension credit
- child tax credit (with an annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by the Inland Revenue)
- working tax credit run on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
You can claim if you are over 16 years of age and are receiving one of the above qualifying benefits.
If your child is attending an East Riding school, you should apply to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
What happens next
You will be notified of the decision by letter within seven days and the school will be notified electronically if approved.
You must notify us in writing of any changes that could affect your child’s entitlement (for example, you no longer qualify for a relevant benefit or you wish to claim for an additional child).
If this change means your child is no longer entitled, you will be sent a letter with the end date and the school will be notified automatically.