Please be aware that the information given on this page relates to feedback & complaints that are following the Council’s Corporate Feedback Scheme only.
Feedback or complaints regarding Adult Social Care, Children and Families, Schools, Data Protection and Freedom of Information requests, are handled differently. To access information on how you feedback or complaint will be handled in relation to these matters, please visit our Customer Feedback and Complaints
Your compliments are always passed onto our staff so they know you appreciate the work they are doing.
Comments or concerns
When we get a comment or concern we -
- make sure it reaches the right people to look at it
- let you know when it was sent to them
- tell you what action may be taken as a result, wherever possible
When you make a complaint we promise to -
- keep you informed
- treat you fairly
- look into your case fully and properly
- agree a suitable solution wherever possible and carry it out as soon as we can
- try to avoid the same thing happen again
If this is the first time you are reporting an issue to us, we may decide to treat this as a request for service or as a concern.
We provide a fair and reasonable complaint service and make it as acessible as possible. However, there are times when the frequency or type of contact from a complainant hinders our consideration of thier complaints, or those made by other people. If this happens then, on a case by case basis, we may decide to limit the ways that the complainant can contact us.
Please be aware, if we need more time at any stage of the process or require signed permission from the complainant if you complain on their behalf, we will tell you when we expect that we can answer in full.
Complaint - Stage 1
Within three working days we will -
- acknowledge your complaint
- tell you if you need to follow one of our alternative complaints procedures
- advise you if mediation needs to be used alongside the complaints procedure to resolve a complex or long standing issuefor more information on our mediation policy refers to the files section.
Within 10 working days we aim to send a full response or we will -
- let you know if we need more information
- advise you if you must fill in a form as you are complaining for someone else
If you are not happy when you receive your response, you have 28 days to tell us your reasons why and if you wish to progress to stage two.
Complaint - Stage 2
At stage two
- a different person reviews your case using any additional information to help us
- we aim to send a full response within 20 working days
- if you are not happy when you receive your stage two response you have 28 days to tell us if you wish to progress your complaint further
After stage two -
- you can choose to end your compaint under our procedure
- take steps to contact the relevant ombudsman
- ask if a panel of our elected members to consider your complaint
- if you are a council tenant and your complaint is about us as your landlord, you can contact a designated person to help find a solution
Elected members panel
You will receive a response within 20 working days advising if your case can go before a panel.
If your request for Member Panel is successful it is normally expected that the appeal will be held within one month of the date the appeal is granted. You will be invited to state your case before the panel and can bring a friend or family member to support you. You do not have to come in person.
You are usually given the outcome at the end of the meeting.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome you may wish to contact the Local Government and Social Care ombudsman
A designated person can help you resolve the complaint with us or refer your case, with your permission, to the Independent Housing Ombudsman.
Your designated person can be a -
- Local Councillor
- Local MP
- designated tenants complaints panel made up of local tenants who review your complaint as an independent body.
If you choose to self refer, the ombudsman will not consider your case until eight weeks after our complaints process.