If you are a council tenant or leaseholder, we do not insure the contents of your home.
To protect yourself, your family, and your belongings against the unexpected, we recommend that you arrange your own home contents insurance.
To make it easier for you to protect your belongings, we have organised a special ‘Pay As You Go’ scheme with Allianz Insurance plc. This scheme is available to all council tenants and leaseholders and you do not need to have a clear rent account to be accepted on to the scheme.
What the scheme covers
By taking out home contents insurance most of your possessions can be insured against –
- water damage
- other household risks
Policies also cover –
- the replacement of external locks if your keys are lost or stolen
- your freezer contents
- personal liability cover - personal liability protects the homeowner from being sued when someone is injured on their property
Cover is on a ‘new for old’ basis which means that items are replaced at the current purchase price.
In addition to the standard contents cover you can add, for an extra cost, any of the following -
- extended accidental damage cover
- personal possessions cover
- hearing aid cover
- wheelchair cover
- cover for the structure of garden huts, greenhouses and garages
You can collect an information pack containing the rate card from your local customer service centre or information point.
You can pay for your insurance -
- fortnightly or monthly by cash, using a swipe card at any post office or Payzone outlet
- monthly by direct debit
- annually by cheque, postal order or debit or credit card
You must keep up to date with your payments or your insurance may be cancelled. You are not able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.
How to apply
If you need help completing the form please telephone 0845 601 7007.
Cover starts as soon as your application has been accepted.
You are sent by post a policy and schedule detailing the amount insured, premium and cover. You also receive a swipecard if it is your chosen payment method.