Medical circumstances

If you have circumstances that are serious and you do not feel your priority on the housing list reflects this we may be able to help. 

Adapted housing

If you think you may need rehousing into a property with adaptations (such as a wet room or a stairlift)  you can request an occupational therapy assessment by telephoning 01482 300 300. If you do not live in Hull, please contact your local Occupational Therapy team for an assessment.

When an occupational therapist has assessed that you need adapted housing they send us a copy of their report and we add you to our adapted housing list (you need to apply to be on our housing list in the normal way first). We then search for adapted homes that become available which meet your needs. If you live outside of Hull please send us a copy of your occupational therapist’s report.

If you have not yet registered on the housing list but would like to apply for an adapted council property, please complete the housing application form below. The form includes a section about adapted housing and we make a referral to the occupational therapy team based on the information you provide.



You can also bid for adapted properties, or properties that may be suitable to be adapted, through the HomeSearch scheme. You may be awarded a medical priority if the occupational therapist states that your current home does not meet your needs.

Medical needs

If you have a medical condition or disability and your current housing does not meet your needs, you can apply for a medical priority. If awarded, this gives you a higher priority for rehousing on our housing list.

Having a medical condition or disability does not, in its own right, result in a medical priority being awarded. For a priority to be awarded your current accommodation must be unsuitable for your medical needs.

Medical priorities can be awarded in the following circumstances -

Physical difficulty managing in your home

If you are having physical difficulty managing in your home due to a medical condition or disability, taking into account your ability to -

  • reach your bedroom, bathroom or toilet
  • any requirements for the treatment of your condition
  • health and safety requirements

You need adapted housing

If you have been assessed by an occupational therapist as needing adapted housing and your current accommodation does not meet your needs.

Rehousing on mental health grounds

If you have mental health problems that are severe, or your circumstances are exceptional and your current accommodation is unsuitable, having a detrimental effect on your mental health and rehousing can significantly improve this.

Rehousing on learning disability grounds

If you have a learning disability and rehousing would improve your wellbeing.

Medical priority

If you are awarded a medical priority you are placed into band B. Usually a medical priority is awarded for a type of property, not for specific areas of the city. For example, you may be given a medical priority for accommodation all on one level.

Please contact HomeSearch to discuss your particular circumstances and we can advise you of what you need to do to apply for a medical priority.

Other issues

If you have any other issues or circumstances that are not detailed here, please discuss them with HomeSearch (or your local neighbourhood housing office if you are a Hull City Council tenant) who can offer you the appropriate advice. This may include advice about other agencies and other council departments that may be able to assist you, such as the antisocial behaviour team, the Domestic Abuse Partnership (DAP) and many others.