You can apply for a home through our Homesearch Scheme. To register on our housing list you need to complete an application form and provide proof of your circumstances. Once the form has been processed you can bid for properties (bidding does not involve any money, you are just showing your interest in a property).
How to register
You must fill in a Homesearch application form, the application form tells you what we need proof of. You must make sure you provide all the proofs we need. If we do not receive all of the proofs we may not be able to process your application or award you the correct priority for your circumstances.
Alternatively you can collect a form from one of our customer service centres or information points.
Who can be on our housing list
You must be 16 or over to apply to be on our housing list.
You may not be eligible if -
- you are from abroad (even if you're a British Citizen)
- have been found guilty of unacceptable behaviour and we believe this makes you unsuitable to be a council tenant
- are 16 or 17 years old and not entitled to any benefits or you do not have any other funds to pay your rent and other household costs
If we decide you cannot be added to our housing list, or we disqualify you from it, we notify you and tell you how to appeal if you do not agree with our decision.
What happens next
Once your application has been registered we write to you with -
- your reference number (also called your bidding number)
- the level of priority you have been awarded
- what your household type is (for example if you are a single person or a family with one child, and so on)
This information determines the type of properties you can be considered for and how likely you are to be offered one, so you must check it carefully and contact us if you do not think it is correct. When this has been received you can start bidding.
Other housing options
There is high demand for our homes so we are unable to offer everyone on our housing list a property. You may wish to consider other housing options such as private rented accommodation or housing associations