Council tax payments

We have several convenient ways for you to pay your council tax.

You need your reference number which is eight digits and starts with a 4. If you have a council issued council tax payment card (swipecard), you can find your reference on the front of your card in the bottom left corner just below your name. 


Make a secure payment anytime with myPayments. You need - 

  • your debit or credit card
  • an email address to be sent a receipt (optional)


From Thursday 15 February you can only make online payments using a compatible browser.

You are going to be redirected to an instruction page that explains how to check and if required update your browser.  

Direct debit

We can set up regular payments from your bank or building society account on your behalf. You just need to complete and return our direct debit mandate. 

Choose to pay -

  • by 10 monthly installments (April to January)
  • by 12 monthly installments (April to March)
  • on the first, seventh, 14th, 21st or 28th day of each month

You can access the direct debit mandate below.


Post your direct debit mandate to -

Hull City Council
Local Taxation Section
Treasury Building
PO Box 15
Guildhall Road

Transfers or standing orders

You can transfer a one off payment or set up regular payments from your bank or building society through online banking, telephone banking or in person.

Our bank details are -

  • Sort code: 62-24-11
  • Account number: 00000000 (eight zeros)

You need to quote -

  • 0000 510 000 followed by your eight digit reference number (this starts with a 4)


You can pay anytime by automated telephone payment on 01482 300 300 (select option 1). Our contact centre staff are available to take payments -

  • Monday to Friday, 8am - 7pm
  • Saturdays, 9am - 1pm

You'll need -

  • your reference number
  • a debit or credit card

In person

You can pay at by debit or credit card at any of our customer service centres. Some also take cash or cheque.

Find out more about our customer service centres

If you have a swipecard, you can pay your council tax at any -

Find out how to request a swipecard


Make your cheque or postal order payable to - Kingston upon Hull City Council - and write your reference number on the back. Send it to -

Revenues and Benefits
Hull City Council
Treasury Building
PO Box 15
Guildhall Road

Debit and credit cards

We accept the following debit and credit cards -

  • Visa
  • Visa Debit
  • Visa Electron
  • Mastercard
  • Maestro

We do not accept American Express.