Dog fouling

You can report dog fouling that takes place on public land in Hull. This includes-

  • highways
  • footpaths
  • public land and open spaces for example parks and playgrounds
  • cycle paths
  • car parks

Landowners are responsible for clearing dog fouling on private land.

What happens next

We investigate reports against people responsible for dog fouling and take action against them if they are able to identify the person who left the dog fouling and they provide a witness statement. If you cannot provide evidence the report is submitted for clearance only. 

On the spot fines and penalties can also be given to an offender with further punishments for a refusal to pay. 

Visit GOV.UK to find out about the penalties that can be given for dog fouling


If you allow your dog to foul land and fail to clean it up you may receive- 

  • £50 fixed penalty
  • prosecution and a maximum penalty of £1000

Dog owner responsibilities

  • always pick up your dog’s mess 
  • double bag any dog wastes and dispose of this within the nearest street litter bin
  • if you can’t find a street litter bin, take it home and dispose of it within your black wheelie bin
  • never allow your dog to go out alone
  • if you have a garden, always encourage your dog to go there, where you can easily clean it up, bag it and bin it
  • always make sure when you pick up your dog’s lead, you also take plenty of bio-degradable plastic bags, or a poop scoop and remember the rain doesn’t wash the problem away
  • report dog fouling to be cleared to us
  • report damaged, missing or overflowing street litter bins to us by calling 01482 300 300

How do pay my dog fouling fixed penalty

By phone

Call 01482 300 300

You will need a credit/debit card and your fixed penalty ready before calling

In person

You can pay at by debit or credit card at The Wilson Centre customer service centres. The Wilson Centre also take cash or cheque payments.

Find out more about our customer service centres

By post 

Environmental Enforcement Team

Streetscene Services

Hull City Council

Staveley House

Stockholm Road


HU7 0XW.

If payment is made by cheque, this must be made payable to “Hull City Council” and we recommend it is sent by recorded delivery. Payment by post will only be regarded as having been made at the time the letter would have been delivered by first or second class post.