Disability bus passes

If you are an adult or child aged five or over and live in Hull, you can apply if you are -

  • in receipt of personal independence payment (PIP) and awarded eight or more points in either of the following sections -
    • seven - communication verbally
    • 12 - moving around
  • in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA)
  • exempt from driving due to medical reasons not persistent use of drugs or alcohol
  • a blue badge holder
  • in receipt of war pensioner's mobility supplement 
  • registered with our social services and have one of the following cards -
    • Sight impaired or severely sight impaired (previously known as partially sighted and blind) - yellow card
    • profoundly or severely deaf - white card
    • limbless or long term loss of use of both arms - blue card or letter from NHS limbless unit 
    • learning disability - pink card
    • without speech - grey card

If you have a green, purple, or any other coloured social services card you are not entitled to a disability bus pass.

How to apply

You can apply for a disability bus pass at one of the following libraries -

  • Avenues
  • Bransholme
  • Fred Moore
  • Western
  • Greenwood
  • Ings
  • Central
  • Holderness Road

Find your local library

You need to provide one type of proof from each of the following categories -

  • ID such as a -
    • valid passport
    • birth certificate
    • driving licence
  • residency such as -
    • utility bill
    • council tax bill
    • bank statement 
  • disability dependent on eligibility -
    • DWP letter
    • an up to date letter from the DVLA (D206 or D235)
    • a current letter from your doctor stating that their entitlement to drive has been withdrawn or refused for medical reasons
    • letter providing receipt of war pension
    • social services card

Your doctor's letter should also say whether this is permanent or temporary and state the expected duration. A doctor is likely to charge you for this letter and it should only be obtained if the criteria is met.

You do not need to provide a photograph as this is taken at the library.

If you are from an EU member state and are a permanent resident of Hull, you also need to provide proof of -

  • nationality
  • permanent residency in Hull

If you are a non EU resident, you need to provide a letter from the Home Office that proves you have been granted permanent UK residency or indefinite leave to remain.


If your bus pass is about to expire you can visit one of the issuing libraries up to 10 working days before the date of expiry to apply for your renewal. You need to provide proof of residency and proof of disability for the renewal to be processed.

Lost or stolen bus passes

If your bus pass becomes lost or stolen visit one of the issuing libraries as soon as possible to order a replacement. For the replacement to be processed you need to provide proof of -

  • residency
  • disability 

What happens next 

You should receive your disability bus pass in the post within five working days.

Conditions of use

All travel passes including your disability railcard also have the following conditions of use -

  • concessionary travel passes are only available to people who have their only or main residence in Hull
  • the travel pass is not transferable and may only be used by the person it is issued to
  • possession of a travel pass does not guarantee any person the right to a place or seat on any particular passenger service vehicle
  • all passengers travelling at concessionary fares are subject to the conditions of the operators. They may be asked to show proof of eligibility at any time on a journey
  • we accept no liability for any loss, injury or inconvenience incurred as a  result of using a travel pass
  • travel passes are not valid on bus excursions, tours, private hire vehicles or any other service which is not open to the general public