Building control applications

You can submit a building control application for -

  • building notice - this is for small building works. In some cases though it is necessary to provide some plans and detail to allow the council to carry out the required checks. 
  • full plans submission - this requires fully detailed plans, specifications, calculations, other detailed supporting information.
  •  regularisation of unauthorised building works - If work has already been carried out without permission  a regularisation should be applied for

Access the LABC guide to extend your home

Commercial development fees are decided on an individual basis. For more information email


Access a building control application

You can access a building control application from 2000 onwards online. You need one of the following -

  • a reference number
  • address
  • postcode

Our records date back to 1 January 1995. Prior to 2000 building control records are kept at the History Centre, Worship Street, some building records may not be available.

Building control forms

Construction health and safety

If you are having any construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to contact a health and safety executive (HSE).

Visit the Health and Safety Executive website to find out more about construction health and safety 

Contact us

Any queries can be emailed to

Alternatively telephone 01482 300 300.