If your child was born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 you must apply for a primary school place between Monday 2 October 2017 and Tuesday 16 January 2018. If you live in Hull you must apply to us with your preferences of primary schools for your child, even if the school you want is not in Hull.
You must apply online through My Schools Portal, our online schools application service, which requires you to register for the service before making your submission.
What happens next
After the closing date we process your application and contact you on Monday 16 April 2018 to let you know which school your child has been allocated.
If you applied online and requested notification by email, a confirmation of your allocated school is sent to your email address in the early hours of Monday 16 April 2018. If you did not request confirmation by email or you did not apply online, you must wait for your allocation letter which is sent by first class post on Monday 16 April 2018. We cannot confirm your child's allocated school over the telephone.
If you applied late or changed your application we write to you after Monday 14 May to let you know which school your child has been allocated.
Selecting the right primary school for your child
We have created a guide for parents which contains useful information about the application process including -
- details about primary schools in Hull
- important dates for you to know
- information on making an application
- making a summer born application
How school places are allocated
Each school has a published number of places that are available for allocation.
Where there are -
- places available for all pupils that have applied then all pupils will qualify for a place
- more applications for places than there are places available the oversubscription criteria are used to determine which pupils qualify for one of these places.
If your child -
- qualifies for a place at only one of the schools named on the application form your child will be offered a place at the school
- qualifies for a place at more than one of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at the school you ranked highest
- does not qualify for a place at any of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at your nearest school which has a place available
If you live outside of Hull and have applied for a Hull school your home authority will forward your application to us and we will notify them if your child qualifies for a place at a Hull school. Your home authority will then confirm which school place your child should be given based on the order of your preferences.
If you miss the deadline date for making your application you must complete and return an application form to us as soon as possible -
If we cannot allocate your preferred school
If we cannot offer a place at any of your preferred schools we will place you on a waiting list for the school until the end of the autumn term where you are offered the right to appeal. You are then allocated a place at the next nearest Hull school that has a vacancy.
We offer you the right to appeal if we cannot place you at one of your preferred schools. An appeal form and guidance is sent to you with our letter confirming the outcome of your application.
You must return your appeal form to the admissions team within 20 school days. Some schools are responsible for arranging their own independent appeals. We send completed appeal forms directly to those schools on your behalf.
An independent appeal panel of three volunteers hear the appeal. They consider the -
- school's reason for not offering a place
- your reasons for needing a place at the school
Your appeal must be heard within 40 school days. You receive information at least 10 days before the appeal date about the -
- date and time
You are informed of the outcome of the appeal in writing shortly after the appeal is heard.