School transfers

If you are moving into Hull or across the city it is sometimes unavoidable to request to change schools. We try to place your child in a school as soon as possible.

We do not encourage parents to move their child from one school to another during the year as this can have a negative effect on a child's progress.

A change of school can sometimes enable children who may have an unwanted reputation or a clash of personalities in their local school to have a fresh start. However this is not always successful, especially if old ways of behaving or dealing with problems do not change. If the previous school has not been given time to resolve the situation, difficulties can also transfer.

Sometimes a change is considered because there has been a disagreement between the parents or child and the school. There are very few differences that cannot be resolved if an issue is discussed openly and reasonably between a school and parent. You should only consider moving your child as a last resort.

How to apply

You should first contact your child's current school and discuss your intention to apply for an in year transfer. Once a school place is allocated we expect you to take up that place within 10 school days. If you request a start date sometime in the future we put your application on hold until nearer the time the school place is required.

If you still want to apply you must do so via the My School Portal. You need to register to use the online option.

If you do not want to apply online you can contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300 and request a paper application form.

Applications for schools not in Hull

If you live in Hull you must make your application to the school admissions team in Hull because we coordinate all in year transfer applications for Hull residents. This applies even if the school that you prefer is in another local authority.

Applications for residents living outside of Hull

If you have not yet moved into Hull or if you live in a neighbouring authority but your preferred school is in Hull, you must first of all contact your own local authority. Many authorities coordinate school transfers for their residents. If your own local authority does not coordinate school in year transfer applications you should contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300 for advice.

What happens next

After we have received your application we determine whether a school place can be allocated at any of your preferred schools. We write to you within 15 school days to confirm whether a place has been allocated. This may take a little longer during busy periods. We would expect you to take up the place at your new school within 10 days. If you are refused a place at your preferred school, for example, if the admission number for your child's year group has already been reached, we write to you and offer you the right to appeal. 


We offer you the right to appeal if we cannot place you at one of your preferred schools. An appeal form and guidance is sent to you with our letter confirming the outcome of your application.

You must return your appeal form to the admissions team within 20 school days. Some schools are responsible for arranging their own independent appeals. We send completed appeal forms directly to those schools on your behalf.

An independent appeal panel of three volunteers hear the appeal. They consider the -

  • school's reason for not offering a place
  • your reasons for needing a place at the school

Your appeal must be heard within 30 school days. You receive information at least 10 days before the appeal date about the -

  • appeal
  • date and time 
  • location

You are informed of the outcome of the appeal in writing shortly after the appeal is heard.

Additional information

There is a primary school and secondary school guide for parents that is available below. The guides provide information about the -

  • types of schools
  • admissions arrangements
  • other useful information

There in year coordinated scheme below provides key details about transferring schools during the year and the process for residents living inside and outside the city.



The school catchment maps are also available. For any further information about catchment areas or maps contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300.