If your child is in year six during the 2016-2017 school year, you must apply for a secondary school place between Thursday 1 September 2016 and Monday 31 October 2016. If you live in Hull you must apply to us with your preferences of primary schools for your child, even if the school you want is not in Hull.
You must apply online through My Schools Portal, our online schools application service, which requires you to register for the service before making your submission.
Applications for 2017-2018 places have now closed
What happens next
We will contact you on Wednesday 1 March to let you know which school your child has been allocated.
If you applied late or changed your application we will write to you after Friday 24 March to let you know which school your child has been allocated.
Selecting the right secondary school for your child
We have created a guide for parents which contains useful information about the application process including -
- details about secondary schools in Hull
- an explanation of how places will be allocated
- frequently asked questions that should answer all of your queries
How school places are allocated
Each school has a published number of places that are available for allocation.
Where there are -
- places available for all pupils that have applied then all pupils will qualify for a place
- more applications for places than there are places available the oversubscription criteria are used to determine which pupils qualify for one of these places.
If your child -
- qualifies for a place at only one of the schools named on the application form your child will be offered a place at the school
- qualifies for a place at more than one of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at the school you ranked highest
- does not qualify for a place at any of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at your nearest school which has a place available
If you live outside of Hull and have applied for a Hull school your home authority will forward your application to us and we will notify them if your child qualifies for a place at a Hull school. Your home authority will then confirm which school place your child should be given based on the order of your preferences.
Applications to St Mary's College
If you have selected St. Mary's College as one of your preferred schools you are required to complete and return an additional form along with your online submission -
If you miss the deadline date for making your application you must complete and return an application form to us as soon as possible -