Dropped kerbs

If you want to take a vehicle across the verge or footway to access your property, you may need a dropped kerb - these are also known as domestic footpath crossings or vehicle crossings.You need to get approval or consent from us for a dropped kerb.

Works can only be done by contractors who are approved by our Network Management Team. It is an offense for anybody other than an approved contractor to carry out these works.

How to obtain a quotation

You need to access the information pack and fill in the application form - 

Planning permission

If your crossing is to be constructed on a classified road or in a conservation area, planning permission approval is also required.

Access our list of classified roads 

We also detail which roads are in conservation areas within the information pack.

Choose your contractor

You need to send the completed application form to contractors of your choice from the list supplied for a quotation for the works.

Access our approved contractors list

The contractor obtains planning approval if required or requested and provides you with a quote for the works. The contractor’s quote covers the design of the crossing and all works required on the public highway. This includes -

  • any diversion of public utilities equipment such as -
    • telegraph poles
    • hydrants
  • the relocation or removal of council equipment such as street -
    • lights
    • trees

The contractor designs the crossing in accordance with our vehicle crossing design guide. On acceptance of the quote the contractor requires full payment for the crossing in advance of the works.

The contractor then obtains a permit from us to construct the crossing. On issue of the permit the contractor is able to advise you of a start date for the works to be carried out.

Domestic footpath crossings

It is important to remember that once a crossing has been constructed it remains part of the highway and we are responsible for its maintenance. Parking is not permitted on the crossing once it has been constructed.

Crossings are usually constructed in tarmac, however other materials may be approved if they are more in keeping with the area that they are being constructed. Examples of other materials would be block paving , concrete and paving flags. 

After the completion of your vehicle crossing, should you encounter any issues with people obstructing it on a regular basis over a prolonged period of time (six weeks or more), please contact the Traffic Department by telephoning 01482 300 300, who can advise on any action that can be taken.

It is an offence to construct a domestic footpath crossing without the appropriate approval and roadworks permit. To do so may result in prosecution.

Pedestrian dropped kerb crossing enforcement

It is an offence to block or partly block a pedestrian dropped kerb crossing with a vehicle, unless you are temporarily caught in stationary traffic. In other words, you cannot park across a pedestrian dropped kerb crossing. This offence applies to all motorists, including -

  • blue badge holders
  • motorcyclists
  • permit holders

Find out more about Parking Charge Notifications