COVID-19 service update -
Badges that have expired from the end of January 2020 will not be enforced by parking enforcement due to the delay in processing application forms. You can still use your expired blue badge until 30 September 2020.
Apply for a blue badge
Apply for a blue badge, or renew your existing blue badge (if it is due to expire in the next ten weeks), using our online 'Apply for a blue badge' form.
You may be asked for a £10 administration fee upon submission of your application. This will be refunded if your application is not successful.
You can only make online payments using a compatible browser.
If you do not have access to the internet to apply online you can attend one of our libraries and use a public PC to apply. Contact us on 01482 210000 to book one of our public PC's.
If you have a non EU badge and are visiting Hull and wish to use this email us to inform us at:
Please make sure you upload the front page and the points page of your PIP letter, showing how many points you receive under that section. If you do not have a points page, please call DWP and request a copy.
Eligibility for a Blue Badge
You may be eligible if you are -
- a parent or carer for a child aged 2 or under with medical needs that -
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty, or
- need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital
- aged 3 or over and are automatically eligible, or meet other eligibility criteria
From 30 August 2019 changes have been made to the eligibility criteria which means people who were not eligible previously might now be considered under the new criteria.
Eligibility without further assessment
You will be automatically eligible if you -
- receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and meet the ‘moving around’ descriptor for the mobility component because you either cannot stand or can stand but walk no more than 50 metres
- receive a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- are severely sight impaired
- have a DS1500 form for terminal illness
From 30 August 2019 people wishing to be considered for a blue badge can apply under the new criteria will be able to apply without the need for further assessment if they -
- Receive the mobility component of PIP and has obtained 10 points specifically for 'descriptor E' under planning and following journey's on the grounds that 'they are unable to take up a journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress'
Eligible subject to further assessment
If you need to be referred for an Independent Mobility Assessment this will be completed over the telephone.
You may be eligible if -
- you drive a vehicle regularly AND have a severe disability in both arms AND are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty operating parking equipment, such as ‘Pay and Display’ machines
From 30 August 2019 people wishing to be considered for a blue badge can apply under the new criteria will be able to apply subject to further assessment if you have enduring or substantial difficulty (that will last for minimum of three years or more) which causes you during the course of a journey to either-
- be unable to walk
- experience very considerable difficulty when walking which may include considerable psychological distress
- be at serious risk of harm when walking or pose, when walking a risk of serious harm to other people
To complete your application you need to show us some proofs and provide a digital photograph. If applying online the photo must be in GIF, JPG, JPEG or PNG format and be a maximum of 10mb in size.
You can upload your documents and photograph online. If you are unable to upload your documents or photograph you can still submit the online application. We will contact you to tell you what you need to do next.
We need the documents to -
- prove your identity
- prove that your address is within the Hull City Council boundary
- show us the benefits you receive (if applicable)
- provide your Motor Insurance Policy to prove that you drive a specially adapted vehicle (if applicable)
Acceptable proof of identification -
- valid driving license
- valid passport
- valid bus pass
- Valid blue badge
- birth certificate
- marriage or divorce certificate
- civil partnership or dissolution certificate
Acceptable proof of address (dated within the last 12 months) -
- council tax bill for the current year
- bank statement
- utility bill
- benefit book or letter
- letter from health professional (eg, GP or hospital)
- benefit award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (dated within the last 12 months
- confirmation letter from Social Services or another local authority service that confirms that the applicant is resident
- local Housing Allowance or other benefit award letter (dated within the last 12 months)
- pensions letter from the Pension Service (dated within the last 12 months)
Showing us the benefits you receive (if applicable) -
- Disability Living Allowance (your award letter must state you receive higher rate mobility component and be dated within the last 12 months)
- Personal Independence Payment 'moving around' descriptor scoring eight points or more (your award letter must state the points are in this specific section)
- BD8 form
- Certificate of Vision Impairment
- War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme (tariff levels 1-8 inclusive)
If you drive a specially adapted vehicle please provide your Motor Insurance Policy.
What happens next
If your application is successful the blue badge is delivered to your chosen address within a minimum of 10 working days.
If your application is unsuccessful we will notify you and tell you the reason why you are not eligible. If you have paid the £10 administration fee we will refund it.
If you want to request a refund or chase one up access the form below -
If you do not agree with our decision you can request us to reconsider your application within one month of the date of the application was declined. If you applied via your customer account access your account history and select 'Update' to log an appeal. Alternatively contact us on 01482 300 300.