Adult Social Care - Occupational Therapy
People eligible to receive Occupational Therapy services are -
- residents who live within the Hull City boundary
- residents who have a substantial and enduring disability
- residents who have significant difficulties in their daily life caused by this disability and want to be more independent
- carer/s for a disabled person/s and who are experiencing difficulties
Occupational Therapy assistance and its benefits
Occupational Therapist's (OT's) are based in Adult Social Care teams across Hull. They will work with you to help you find a new way of doing tasks such as -
- preparing a meal or drink, dressing and personal hygiene, getting in and around your home
- suggesting or prescribing specialist equipment to aid your daily living
- suggesting or arranging provision of minor adaptations such as grab rails
- agreeing recommendations with you for major adaptations such as ramps or stair lifts
- working with your carer to offer them advice in the best way to support you
With your concent we can signpost you to relevant services who may be able to help.
Equipment for people with disabilities or who are struggling around their home
If you are struggling with access around your home, we can identify equipment or adaptations that could help you.
Examples of equipment provided or adaptations recommended may be -
- a bath lift - may be recommended if you are unable getting safely in and out of the bath
- grab rails around your home - may be recommended if you need the additional support when moving around your home
- a stair lift - may be recommended if you are unable to use the stairs safely - already have two banisters and essential facilities such as your toilet or a room that can be used as a bedroom are only on the first floor and do not have a condition for which using a stair lift would not be advised
- a shower - if you are unable to get in and out of your bath even with equipment
- a ramp - if you are a full time wheelchair user or you cannot manage the steps to your home safely or walk outside
If equipment is identified as meeting your need and you meet the eligibility criteria for its provision the the OT will arrange with you for this to be delivered by NRS Healthcare.
If you require an adaptation following an assessment -
Minor Adaptations - The OT worker will arrange for the recommendations to be made to the Housing Adaptations team who will then order the works. Major Adaptations - The OT worker will arrange for the recommendations to be made to the Housing Adaptations team, who will carry out a survey and order the works.
Private Owners and Private Tenants
We can give you guidance and advice if you are providing your own adaptation or make recommendations for provision
Will either be provided through Adult Social care or some Housing Associations provide minor adaptations for their tenants
Are provided via a means tested grant called Disabled Facilities Grant
Following your assessment the OT worker agrees recommendations with you and passes these on to the Hull City Council Private Housing team.