Worried about an adult - raise a concern

logo for hull safeguarding adults partnership board


Vulnerable adults can be at risk of abuse. This abuse can take many forms such as - 

  • physical
  • sexual
  • financial
  • emotional or psychological
  • neglect
  • discriminatory
  • organisational
  • self neglect
  • domestic

You can find more information on the types of abuse vulnerable adults are at risk of  and resources available using the link below.

Find out more if you are worried about an adult

If you have been or still are the victim of abuse, or you know someone who you think is being abused you can report your concern using the form below - 

We recommend that you discuss your concerns with the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub before completing and sending the concern form. A member of the team will be able to give you guidance and support and agree the next steps with you.

You can contact them on telephone 01482 616 092 and ask for the adults safeguarding team duty officer or telephone 01482 300 304 after 5pm or during weekends. You can also contact using the email address adultsafeguarding@hullcc.gov.uk 

If you are a member of a professional organisation and have concerns about a person you have been working with or come across in your professional capacity and consider them to be a high risk you can request a 'Vulnerable Adults Risk Management  Panel' (VARM) 

Find out more about VARM and request a panel.

What happens after you share your concerns with us

When you contact us we will discuss the concern with you to determine what needs to happen next.  In some instances this may result in us undertaking further enquiries or we may suggest a different course of action.

If you are contacting us with concerns for someone else we will want to make arrangements to talk to the person themselves about the concerns.  We will do this by telephone or through a visit.

We will always want to find out the views and wishes of the person at risk before deciding on any safeguarding action. 

We work with the person to help them make any changes they have identified to better protect themselves from abuse or neglect.

Sometimes the person at risk of abuse is not able to make these decisions. Where this is the case we will make sure that any actions taken are in the person’s best interest, in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

Usually a person has a friend or relative who can offer some support  during a safeguarding enquiry but if the person has no one to support them we can arrange an advocate for them. This is someone to speak up for them and act on their behalf.