You can use this service to request that your British citizenship application is checked to make sure it is properly completed before it is sent to the Home Office.
We are also able to accept and send you first British passport application to Her Majesty's Passport Office at the same time you submit your application for British Citizenship.
Using this service makes sure that-
- applications for British nationality are completed properly before being submitted to the Home Office for consideration
- all supporting documentation is checked, copied and certified so that those important personal documents remain with you instead of being posted to the Home Office with your application
Our staff have been fully trained by the Home Office nationality experts and are individually registered with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner. This is an independent body established by an independent offering services of this kind.
We can check and send your applications for you but we are not able to give you citizenship advice or passport advice.
The Nationality Checking Service is not a priority service for processing your application with the Home Office. However, complete and accurate forms are processed, on average, more quickly than those that are incomplete or which need further enquiries.
Using the service does not guarantee an application will be successful. The service checks the application has been completed correctly and it is then passed on to Home Office caseworkers who will consider the application and make a decision.
The time it takes for the Home Office to deal with an application can vary according to individual circumstances and other factors such as the number of applications under consideration at a particular time.
You will need to book an appointment to access this service. To make an appointment you can telephone 0142 300 300 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be asked to pay the relevant fees for this service, as detailed in the table below, when you book your appointment.
Fees for this service
|Type of appointment||Fees|
|Nationality Checking Service|
|Family, two adults, two children||£120|
|Single parent, one adult, one child||£70|
|Additional children, per additional child||£15|
|Passport Checking Service||£20|
These fees are separate and in addition to any fee payable to the Home Office.
The fee is not refundable, even if we cannot submit your application when you attend your appointment. It is therefore important that you read the guidance notes about making an application.
If you need to rearrange your appointment we can transfer the fee to another appointment as long as you give two working days notice of the need to rearrange.
When you attend your appointment you will need to bring-
Nationality Checking Service
- original passport, if you do not have this please see the guidance notes on your application
- original documents needed to support your application
- a printed copy of your completed application
Joint Passport applications
If you also wish to submit your passport application at the same time you should complete sections one to four, six (if applicable) and nine of the passport application form-
- you do not need to complete section 10 or have the two photographs certified. Details of referees are collected as part of the citizenship application
- the photographs submitted with both applications must be identical (from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance. The applicant’s name should be written on the back of the photographs
- section one - any applicant within six months of turning 16 at the time of application must attend the appointment in person
- section two - do not enter a mobile phone number in section two of the application form, enter it in section eight instead
- section four - grandparents’ details are not required
- the payment mandate on page 25 of the application guidance must be completed. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box
If you are unsure about any requirements leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.