Appeal a Council Tax decision

If you want to appeal against the banding of your property, you need to do this through the Valuation Office.

You can appeal against the following types of Council Tax decision using the form below -

  • we are charging you Council Tax and you do not think that you are the person who should pay
  • you think you should have a discount and you have not received one, or you feel the amount of discount is incorrect
  • you think your property should be exempt from Council Tax

Appeal a Council Tax decision (opens in new window)

We will look at your appeal and let you know our decision as soon as we can. If you are still not happy with this decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

You must try to resolve the enquiry directly with the council. Do this before approaching the Valuation Tribunal Service.

The Valuation Tribunal Service is not part of our council. If you decide to appeal the decision, you can tell the tribunal about your case. We will notify them of why we have made our decision. The tribunal will decide whether that decision is right.

 If you make an appeal, you must still pay your bill while you are waiting for the appeal to be dealt with.