Problems paying your mortgage

If you're worried that you can't meet your -

  • mortgage or home loan repayments
  • you're in arrears
  • or concerned that you might fall behind with your repayments 

please contact your lender as soon as possible. Your lender should treat you fairly, and advise you what they can do to help you keep your home, with repossession as a last resort.

They may be able to - 

  •  reduce your payments for a set period 
  •  charge you interest only for a while, if you've got a repayment mortgage 
  •  give you a 'payment holiday' 
  •  extend your mortgage term to reduce your payments 

For more help and advice on mortgage difficulties you can download the leaflet - Are You Worried About Your Mortgage

If you think you'll have to leave your home, and are at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact us for help. You can access our Homelessness pages for more advice.

Support for mortgage interest 

If you receive certain income related benefits, you may be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or home loan. This is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)


The website has information that you can download if you are worried about repossession. A local organisation such as the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice can also help. 

Contact us 

If you want to get in touch with us you can contact our homelessness and housing advice service by - 

Call 01482 300 300 - 

  • 9am to 4.30pm Monday 
  • 9am to 4.30pm Tuesday 
  • 10.30am to 4.30pm Wednesday 
  • 9am to 4.30pm Thursday 
  • 9am to 4.30pm Friday 

Email -