Temporary absence for benefits claims

Usually, Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction can only be received if you live in a property as your home. If you plan to be away from home temporarily, we may be able to continue to pay your benefit if -

  • the property is not sublet or re let while you are away
  • you do not claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction elsewhere

We may be able to pay where you are absent -

  • within Great Britain and you intend to return to the property within 13 weeks or 52 weeks. Different criteria apply
  • outside of Great Britain and you intend to return to the property within 4 weeks

You must meet certain criteria for temporary absence to be awarded.

Notifying us

You must tell us whenever you are going to be away from home. We need to know -

  • the date you intend to leave
  • how long you intend to be away
  • the reason for the temporary absence. Give as much detail as you can
  • your temporary address while you are away
  • once returned, the date you returned

You can let us know you will be away from home by downloading and filling in the form.