Subletting part of your council home

Subletting is when you rent part of your property to another person (subtenant). Your subtenant normally has exclusive access to at least one room - usually a bedroom, which you cannot enter without their permission.

Only secure tenants can sublet their property. Both introductory and demoted tenancy types cannot have a subtenant.

If you not want to give a subtenant exclusive access to part of your property you may wish to consider taking in a lodger. For more information download - 

Part subletting application secure tenancy

Part subtenant details secure tenancy

Apply to sublet your property

Before you can part sublet you must get our written consent and the person you would like to sublet to must complete a separate form with their details on.

Housing Benefit, Universal Credit and council tax benefit claims

If you are claiming housing or council tax benefit, your claim may be affected by taking in a lodger, so please remember to inform our benefits team or the DWP. If you do not report a change to your circumstances you could be under or overpaid benefit and you could face prosecution.